"Patton, that's not funny" Logan frowned.

"No! It's big a-and ugly!" Patton cried, "i'm not joking!"

"Patton!" Virgil said sternly, hoping that Janus wouldn't use his weird snake powers to kill them all.

"Wait, guys!" Janus said, chuckling, "calm down, he's telling the truth" he swam over and grabbed the snake out of the water, "it is pretty big, but I wouldn't say ugly" the snake curled around his shoulders and squeezed lightly, as if hugging him.

"Oh, i'm um—sorry" Patton mumbled.

Janus put a hand on the other's shoulder and smiled down at him, "Patton, it's okay, i'm not offended. But there's no need to be afraid, this is a friendly snake."

Everybody let out a sigh of relief. They were lucky that Janus was so kind, snake people didn't really have a very good reputation.

"I'll get rid of it, if it's making you upset though" Janus said quickly when Patton still appeared to be apprehensive.

Patton gasped, "no! Don't kill it!"

Janus let out a surprised laugh, "Patton, I meant I was going to go find its home and put it there!"

"Oh" Patton muttered, before chuckling, "sorry! And yeah, that would make me feel better."

————————————————————

How they got to the topic of parenting was because Remus was curious about how Janus was treated growing up in a household where everybody was a social outcast.

"It was fine—I mean, they weren't bad parents. In fact, they were great parents" Janus smiled fondly, "they didn't let how they were treated affect how they treated me."

"Sounds nice. My dad was like—suuuuuuuper strict about messes and stuff. Which, is probably why he made Roman wear diapers for so long" Remus said, chuckling before he slapped a hand over his mouth. He hadn't meant to let that slip.

"Diapers?" Janus asked, feeling his heart rate spike, "seriously? For how long?"

Remus sighed. If Roman ever found out he told Janus, he was a goner. But the secret was out, so he may as well answer the questions, lest Janus seek out Roman for them, "Well, he had like, really bad bladder control as a kid, and it wasn't like he was using them because he wanted to. If he could make it to the bathroom, he did. It was just a precaution. And honestly, don't tell him I said this," Remus explained, "but I have a suspicion that he might still wear them. But we aren't like, that close anymore so i'm not sure."

And that was kind of striking to Janus, for all the pieces to click together at once. He knew he wasn't imagining the crinkling sound that happened every time Roman say down. And—and that was why Roman never went swimming! It had to be.

He began to observe Roman more carefully after Remus had said that. He began to notice things, like how his face would twist with discomfort when he sat down and was rubbed the wrong way by the soft fabric, and the slight, visible bulge around his waist when his jeans were ever so slightly too tight.

And oh, Janus was weak. Absolutely weak. He couldn't help himself from making sly comments about it, commenting on how it looked like his underwear were on wrong, but never telling Roman that it was because he could see the diaper.

And oh, when Roman would stammer and blush, looking away, absolutely humiliated and squirming under Janus's gaze, well, it just melted his heart, and his chest felt all tingly and loving. He knew that his motherly snake instincts were kicking in, and he couldn't help but to view Roman as a baby—his baby.