Rose

I woke up with IV drip in my vein. Lisa was standing right beside me and there was a nurse looking at some charts.

"What's happening?"

"You fainted, Rose."

"Where's Carl?"

"He's still in the operation theatre."

"Oh."

The doctor came to check me up.

"Why did she faint, doctor?"

"I need to run some blood test and then only I'll be able to confirm my suspicion."

"Okay."

So, the nurse took my blood sample for the tests. But nothing mattered to me right now. My thoughts went to my man who's at that table in the operation theatre. He's my home and I can't be homeless again. He has to come back to me as fast as possible.

"Where are others?"

"They are out there. They are fine. You think about yourself."

"I don't care about myself. The love of my life is fighting for his life because of me and I can't be selfish to think about myself right now."

Surprisingly, I was not shedding a single tear while talking about him as if I've drained my tears. After an hour the doctor came back.

Lisa asked, "Doctor, what's the matter?"

The doctor shifted her attention towards me and asked, "Ms. Smith, when was the last time you had your period?"

I spared it a thought and I answered, "A month."

"Are you late?"

Then I realised, yes, my period is late. I was so engrossed with the wedding preparations that I didn't paid any attention to it.

"Yes."

"Congratulations, you're pregnant. You are three weeks pregnant and I think you forgot your pills."

Lisa was shedding happy tears but I was shocked. This was supposed to be one of the happiest moments of our life but I can't be happy my love is fighting for his life.

"Oh my god, Rose, congratulations."

"Thank you", I said dryly, "Doctor, can you not share this news to anyone outside?"

"Ok. I can understand. You have to go for an ultrasound, though."

"Not now doctor."

"Fine."

She left the room and Lisa hugged me tight. "I want to share something with you.", she said.

"What?"

"I don't know whether it's the right time to share this news or not but I'm pregnant too. I'm two weeks pregnant."

I was happy. Truly happy but I didn't had the strength to express it physically or emotionally.

"Did you tell it to Val?"

"No. I was going to say it to him today but things turned out like this. I'll tell him when Carl wakes up."

"Don't do that, Lisa. You need to be taken care of. You have to tell your husband."

"You also need care. I can never understand what you're going through right now and I don't want to but I know he'll come back to you. For you and for the little sweetheart who's growing in your belly."

"He will."

He can't leave me now. He has to come back for our baby. Shit. I can't even feel the happiness of my pregnancy. There's this stinging pain in my heart that can only be wiped off by Carl. Please wake up, baby. Please.