Rose

It's been a week since I interrogated that mouse. He's settling well with me. He's definitely the best at stalking people. Though it's too soon to say that to him. The thought of Mrs. Espina behind all the stalking still shocks me. I found her to be really kind and sweet but right now it's questioning my observation.

Day after tomorrow is my birthday. It's the day when uncle found me and took me in. Though I don't like the idea of celebrating birthdays but for all these years uncle never failed to celebrate. Since, I never had many friends, it was always me, uncle and Lisa. It's better than those extravagant parties. Every year I visit an orphanage to celebrate it with them. I know how a child feels as an orphan. So, I try to give them the happiness even it is for one day.

************************************

On my birthday, I thought everyone forgot my birthday. Though I don't like to celebrate but I do expect a simple wish from zio and Lisa. But nothing happened. On contrary, Carl dragged me out of the bed to take me somewhere. I have a different love story with the bed but Carl never understands that. He took me to the diner to have breakfast and then told me there's a surprise for me. Usually, surprise is not a very good thing in our world but I can leave the negative thoughts for one day.

"Where are you taking me?"

"You'll get to know once we reach."

"You're acting too suspicious from the morning. Do you want to go down to an interrogative session with me?"

"As long as I have the permission to touch you, I can go down to anything you want."

I laughed. After half an hour I was able to recognise the road. Orphanage. He's taking me to the orphanage. I shifted my gaze to Carl with tears in my eyes. How did he know that I visit this orphanage? As far as I remember I never mentioned it to him.

"I don't want tears, mia cara. Smile. And if you have the thought that how did I get to know about this? Then I must tell you I asked Matt. He told me that you love to visit this orphanage on a monthly basis especially on your birthday. But I still don't understand why you never told me about it.", he said keeping his eyes fixed on the road but his right hand shifted from the steering wheel to mine.

"It just slipped my mind."

"I can understand."

He stopped the car and we went outside the car. At the gate of the orphanage all the kids were standing to welcome me. They always do this on my birthday.

"Rosy, happy birthday.", my little guy, Elio, came running towards me and hugged me. Four years ago I found him at a dumpster just like my uncle found me. But fortunately he was not in a blood of pool. Apparently his parents abandoned him. From then on I have a special connection with this little guy.

"Thank you, champ. How are you?"

"I'm fine but Rosy who's this man?" and he started to nuzzle into my chest as I bend to hug him.

"He's my friend, champ."

After giving it a thought and peeking through my arms to look at Carl he asked, "Will he become my friend?"

"I don't know. You have to ask him."

"But he looks scary. What if he scolds me?"

"I'm here to protect you. Go."

Carl felt the tension so he didn't interfere. But once Lio approached him, he hunched to his knees to shake his hand.

"Hi, little guy, I'm Carlos but my friends call me Carl. What is your name?"

"My name is Elio but my friends call me Lio. Rosy told me that you are her friend."

"That I am."

"So, does it make me your friend too?"