Chapter 3.22-Yoongi

Joon, Jin, and I had been working so hard to sort everything out that had happened in Yoona's life. It felt like we were getting so close, everything was almost in our grasp. But every time we felt we were almost there something fell apart. Yoona's parents moved or Hyunjin's patterns changed and we were back to rebuilding our plan from scratch.

By now we had a pretty good grasp on the unsavory business that Hyunjin's family was involved in. Mostly drugs, but a good helping of blackmail on the side, which encouraged politicians and law enforcement to turn a blind eye. It took all kinds of relentless digging to finally hear enough rumors to get a fuller picture of Yoona's story.

Hyunjin's parents and Yoona's parents did seem to know each other when they were little. It seemed they were even friends for a while. But eventually Hyunjin's family's love of money became more important than the friendship.

Even from a young age Hyunjin was slated to take over the family business. Based on their 'business' dealings the family was anxious that his soulmate would reject him, leaving him alone and unable to produce the necessary heir to keep the business going for the next generation. Yoona and Hyunjin were already friends as little kids so his parents made a decision. Yoona would become part of their family, trained to be a perfect wife for Hyunjin and mother to their children. She would never be the wiser that she had lost her real soulmates, kept from ever experiencing or seeing the rest of the world.

Hyunjin's parents offered Yoona's parents a high paying job overseas which they gladly took, especially when their friends offered to keep Yoona at their estate and ensure she was well cared for and educated. It was only after they were abroad that they discovered Hyunjin's parents weren't the kind people they thought. They quickly became aware that they were under the parents thumb, unable to leave the country they had resettled in and unable to even talk to Yoona without supervision. Threats to both their lives and Yoona's life kept them from going to the police.

In the meantime Yoona grew up totally oblivious. The only reality she knew was the world that Hyunjin's family built around her and she had no reason not to trust them. Over time she essentially disappeared from the rest of the world, her existence slowly erased from public record.

It was only incredible luck that Yoona got in a car accident that led her to the local hospital and then to the rest of her soulmates. They were never meant to find her and likely never would have if it hadn't been for that unexpected twist of fate.

Yoona was only with them for a short period of time before she disappeared again. By now it was no surprise that Hyunjin's family had threatened Yoona's parents if she didn't return to Hyunjin, intent on making sure the family kept their heir. They only took as long as they did to collect her because they had other business they were dealing with that kept them temporarily distracted. When they were ready to 'reclaim' Yoona, they told her in no uncertain terms that if she didn't come back voluntarily they would come and collect her against her will and kill her parents while they were at it. Feeling she had no choice, she immediately left us to return to Hyunjin.

Any warmth the family had shown to Yoona previously was now gone. She was simply viewed as a breeding tool for the family. She never left her room except when she was punished and forced to sleep on the cold floor of the barn. She was provided only the basics that would ensure that she was able to give birth to healthy children and nothing more. Hyunjin had his way with her at his convenience, desperate to have as many children as possible. Not even wait for her to heal from one pregnancy before he was violating her in an effort to get her pregnant again. Any time Yoona fought back she'd be beaten relentlessly, so she'd eventually resigned herself to her fate.

The children were taken from Yoona almost as soon as they were born since Yoona was viewed as an unfit influence on the children. They needed to be indoctrinated in the way of the family and Yoona was viewed as nothing more than a traitor.

After her last delivery she had an infection from the c-section but wasn't provided prompt medical care. A raging fever ravaged her body leaving her deaf. But it was only a few months later, after Hyunjin failed to get Yoona pregnant a fourth time, that they discovered the infection had also left her unable to have additional children.

Recognizing she no longer had any value to their family they unceremoniously dumped her on our front doorstep, threatening her that if she ever tried to find the children her parents would be killed in slowest and most painful way possible and then Hyunjin's family would come and get her and end her life too. And they wouldn't hesitate to injure or kill any of her soulmates in the process if necessary.

It came as no surprise Yoona was terrified of their threats, recognizing that her own experience had left her permanently scarred both physically and emotionally. So she never mentioned the children again, hoping her soulmates would just leave well enough alone in a way that would protect all of them.

But Namjoon, Jin and I decided we had to at least try to figure out what happened in the hopes that maybe, in the best case scenario, we might be able to reunite Yoona with the children. It was a distant hope, but we believe it could add to her healing. And if it finally broke down the remaining barrier with Hobi in the process and fully reunited our soul group, that was just one more advantage.

But the biggest concern remained. If we tried to intervene and weren't successful the consequences would be disastrous. We needed a way to extract Yoona's parents, get the children, and neutralize Hyunjin all at the exact same time. In good news BTS's fame and success gave us access to almost unlimited financial resources, and we had our own clout with powerful individuals. If anyone was going to be successful it would be our soul group. But that didn't mean it would be easy.

Every day one of us spent time discussing the issue with one of the private investigators, seeing if any new developments had come up, discussing theories and possible paths forward, and consistently finding our best plans thwarted. We needed to be prepared to move quickly but if we moved too quickly and things weren't aligned like we hoped, we would never get a second chance. So we decided to take things slowly and carefully, keeping the information from all of the rest of our soulmates.

We'd always had an agreement with our soulmates that we wouldn't keep any secrets but this was different. The more people who knew the greater the risks. We knew Yoona would never be able to handle the incredible anxiety if she knew what we were doing. So we agreed to keep it a secret for now in the hopes that before long we would have a beautiful surprise for all of our soulmates. We'd have Yoona's children and parents back safely, and Hyunjin would be punished for everything he had done.