Chapter 1.4-Hoseok

Everyone was anxiously waiting to hear from Namjoon and Jimin. We knew they had a bit of a drive. But even so, we all were ready to celebrate finding our final soulmate. Instead we were getting radio silence.

Finally Jimin replied to one of our text messages but his response was entirely cryptic. "We're on our way, it's complicated".

It's complicated? What does that mean? Soulmates are the opposite of complicated. The universe puts you together so you don't have to try to figure out who is a perfect fit for you. Just thinking about their soul group so far, it was perfectly balanced. They all had different personalities, and different strengths and weaknesses. Put together, those unique puzzle pieces made a perfect picture. I'd never met anyone who didn't feel that way about their soulmate. And almost everyone I knew was crazy jealous about the fact that our soulmate group was so large. To have that many people who were made just for you was a miracle.

I could see all of the text responses from my soulmates popping up but Jimin and Namjoon had gone silent again. Eventually we received one more text from Namjoon. "Yoona isn't ready to meet everyone. We'll talk when we get home."

I was still trying to figure out the text myself when I felt arms wrap around me from behind. "Hyung, what do you think this means? I don't get it."

"I don't get it either, Taehyung, but we'll just have to wait and be patient until they get home. Do you want to cuddle on the couch in the meantime?"

"Yeah, I do. Maybe we should invite Jungkookie too, I think he's feeling upset."

When Taehyung mentioned it I went to feel for him through the bond. Generally the bond was just a general hum, but if you worked hard enough you could pick out individual feelings. Not in great detail, but enough to get a sense of that person's emotions.

"Ok, why don't you go and get him and I'll find us some blankets."

Over the next few minutes everyone who was home made their way into the living room, sitting in little clusters together to try to give and receive comfort during the anxious wait. About 30 minutes later we heard the front door open and Jimin quietly talking with someone. Jin and Yoongi carefully got up to secretly peek at their new soulmate, but I held Taehyung and Jungkook close. I knew if they went to even look they wouldn't be able to contain their excitement, so better to keep them here for now.

Namjoon came into the living room first, running his hands over his face in exhaustion, followed by Jimin a bit later who looked totally shell shocked.

"Hyung, tell us what happened, we've been waiting!" Jungkook was the first to break the silence.

"Well, we found Yoona at the emergency room. She'll be fine, she just had some cuts that required a few stitches and bandaging." This was followed by a long pause as Namjoon and Jimin just stared at each other.

"And?", I could tell Yoongi was getting impatient, wanting to know what happened.

Jimin waited for Namjoon to finish the story, "And...well, it's a little odd. I'm sorry, I'm just trying to gather my thoughts. So we got there and Yoona clearly hadn't heard we were coming. When we introduced ourselves she said she already had a soulmate."

I broke in, "What are you talking about? Was there a mistake at the registry?"

"No, that's not it. She's definitely our soulmate. But I think someone had tricked her into believing she is their soulmate instead."

I screwed my face up in confusion, "How is that even possible? I don't even understand how that could happen."

"We're not really sure either" Jimin tried to continue as Namjoon searched for words. "She didn't seem to be familiar with the registry, she said her soulmate was someone she grew up with. She honestly seemed pretty unfamiliar with the whole idea of soulmates. Like she was surprised to feel my emotions when we touched. And she didn't know you could have more than one soulmate. To be honest she seemed totally overwhelmed so we tried not to press very much."

"But that's illegal, and totally wrong. Why would anyone do that to her?" I couldn't help but cut into the conversation again.

"I don't know, but the guy came to collect her and he seemed like a hot-tempered jerk. He made a huge scene at the emergency room. Eventually the police ended up escorting him out."

"What did Yoona have to say about this?" Jin asked, trying to return the conversation to their soulmate.

"Well, not much to be honest. She's quiet. Very quiet. I'm not sure she's said more than a few sentences since we met her. I can understand she must feel totally overwhelmed so we wanted to give her some space. Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be feeling better and we can learn more about her. In the meantime I showed her to the guest bedroom."

I could feel a thrum of competing emotions through the bond. Happiness, disappointment, expectation, and confusion all melded together. This definitely was not what any of us had imagined.

———————-

The next morning everyone was up early and gathering at the table for breakfast. A few minutes later Jimin plopped down into his seat with a sigh. "Sorry guys, I knocked on Yoona's door but she didn't answer. Maybe she's still sleeping."

I squeezed Jungkook's hand after he deflated a bit in the chair next to me. "Don't worry Kook, we have our whole life together."

"I'm ok Hyung, I'm just excited and it's hard to be patient."

"I know," I gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Time to eat. The breakfast looks delicious."

————————

We didn't see Yoona for lunch or for dinner. At one point Taehyung wondered out loud if maybe she had run away. We wanted to give her space, but she needed to eat. We decided we'd give her until tomorrow. If we didn't see her by then we'd find a way to draw her out.