21

Chapter twenty one
'I hate myself'

HENRY WAS SIPPING on a vanilla milkshake from five guys whilst I had strawberry. We had just finished having a 'food date' the sweet taste of crisp bacon and great quality beef still present on my tastebuds.

Christmas was now a week away, and nothing had really happened in terms of the whole Hattie situation, though I was glad. I still couldn't make sense of it. Unless, of course she was just a mentally fragile woman who lost her reason for continuing, that would be the most logical reason. And what could she do now? Even if it was all a ploy to keep me and Henry away- we were very much dating.

"So, are you excited to go back home?" Henry asked with a raise of his brows. "Speaking of which. You haven't told me much about your family ?"

My jaw lightly clenched, the straw being squeezed between my teeth, now- that wasn't a conversation I wanted to have. But how long could I delay speaking about my life with Henry, after all when you're dating someone your private life becomes harder to hide.

"Honestly, no. And my family aren't worth speaking about" I sighed, realising that my heart had quickened its pace- clearly getting a kick of anxiety.

"I want to know you Blair. You make it awfully difficult" his tone was almost cold, I knew it annoyed him that I was so closed off. But it wasn't like I didn't warn him.

To try and change the subject, or even lessen the awkwardness that fell between us I dusted off my jeans and stood up. "I'm going to use the bathroom, I won't be long"

Quickly I went to the bathroom, closing the toilet door behind me. Sweat had made a line across my forehead and a lump formed in my throat, making it hard to breath. Great, a panic attack was just what I needed.

And that's when a notification chimed on my mobile, then after- and another after that. It was almost like a constant ringing, this immediately made my expression turn sour in confusion. What was going on?

Peter Hollows- Released after five year sentence due to good behaviour.

My eyes immediately began to water, this couldn't be happening to me. Please no, don't let this be true. My vindictive, selfish and abusive uncle had been released for good behaviour.

Because of his last name it didn't take a genius to be linked, I had a multitude of tags from various university students asking if I was related to him. I wish I wasn't, but I was.

I remember those awful, excruciating months with him coming to our home whilst mum worked long shifts to support us and get over dads passing. Terry, my uncle would change into some light clothing, typically some loose joggers or shorts and proceed to direct us on how to please him. Coral doesn't dare speak about it, she hides from her past. I don't blame her, but it would be nice to unload my heavy brain with somebody. I was only fourteen years old. Sometimes, I blame myself for not saying something sooner.

Though, mother wouldn't of done anything. Nor did she care much upon finding out. Instead it was my word against his, she protected her brother and still does to this day.

My mother truly believed that me and Coral did it out of spite. But Finally I snapped, I told our neighbour at the time. Her name Anna. She went to the police, they ended up raiding his home and finding indecent photos of me and my sister, plus other children he had searched up on the dark web. It was stomach churning. After that, I admitted it all. But Coral stayed hidden, she denied it all.