14

Chapter fourteen
'Two timing'

AS I STOOD AT THE KITCHEN TABLE, swirling my drink around, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment wash over me. I looked around at the Halloween party, taking in the colorful decorations and the laughter of the guests, but something about the evening just wasn't sitting right with me. Maybe it was the fact that I was surrounded by couples, or maybe it was the fact that the guy I had feelings for was standing only a few feet away from me, holding hands with his girlfriend.

Hailey, Cade, Henry, and Hattie were all having a great time, chatting and laughing like old friends. I was the only one sinking deeper into my thoughts, drinking my sorrows away.

From the corner of my emerald eyes I watch Hailey approach me with concern. Great I think to myself as I try to put on a brave face and pretend everything's fine; But Hailey has a gift of seeing right through me. I can tell by the way she's looking at me that this would be another one of her interrogations.

"Hey, Blair. Are you okay?" Hailey asks, placing her hand on my back.

I nod, trying to give her a reassuring smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just...enjoying the party."

But Hailey doesn't buy it. "You're not fine. I know you better than that." She hands me a shot of some strong smelling liquor "Here, drink this. It'll help you loosen up and have some fun."

I take the small shot glass, thanking her. I'm not much of a drinker, but tonight, I'll make an exception. After all I had already downed my last several drinks of rum and coke.

Just as the burning shot hits the back of my throat, Hailey sits next to me.

"Blair, what's going on? You're not acting like yourself tonight."

I pause, thinking about how I should respond. "I think I may have feelings for someone"

Hailey's eyes widen. "Oh, Blair, that's exciting. Why are you so upset ?"

"Because that person just so happens to have a girlfriend if you get what I'm saying"

With a gaped mouth Hailey sits down next to me. "Wait.. is this Henry? Are you finally admitting to yourself that you have feelings for him?"

Pouring another drink I turn my attention back to the eccentric red head. Getting her daily dose of gossip. "I'm not sure.. but it makes me jealous. But I can't complain. I wouldn't of ever admitted it to him"

Hailey shakes her head. "No, you should never keep your feelings bottled up like that. It's not healthy."

I take another sip of my drink, hoping to distract myself from the pain in my chest. Hailey just nods her head, understanding my predicament.

"I get it. That's a tough situation," she says sympathetically. "But you can't keep holding onto feelings for someone who belongs to someone else. It's not fair to you or to them."

"I know," I sigh. "But it's not that easy to just let go of feelings, you know? Especially since Henry admitted to me that he has feelings for me"

Gobsmacked I watched Hailey in amusement; her eyebrows were raised. "That two timing-

Raising my hand and clasping it over Hailey's mouth I shook my head to keep her quiet. "It's okay, don't make a scene"