18

Chapter eighteen
'Situation-ship'

EYES BURNED THROUGH ME from all directions, and the chatter of people was so loud, it felt like a constant ringing in my ears. I had definitely become the talk of the university, and it was the worst possible situation to be in. I didn't have class that day, but I was determined to see Henry and get his perspective on things.

Hattie was new here, but her infectious personality had quickly won over many people, who were now directing waves of hate and judgement towards me. It was like it had become a sport for everyone to gossip and speculate about my relationship with Henry, and I felt like I was drowning in the sea of rumors and accusations.

I arrived outside Henry's class that was due to end in the next ten minutes. I waited impatiently, my foot shaking up and down. Talk about being uncomfortable, why did this have to happen?

I noticed a few people giving me strange looks and whispering behind their hands. It was like they knew exactly who I was, and what I had supposedly done. I tried to ignore them, my mind racing with thoughts of what I would say to Henry when I saw him.

Finally, the class ended and students started filing out of the room. My eyes scanned the crowd, searching for Henry's familiar face. But as minutes ticked by and more and more students left, he was nowhere to be seen.

I tried to text him, but he didn't reply. My heart sank at the thought that he was avoiding me or worse, that he played with my heart again. The longer I waited, the more anxious and uncertain I felt.

Maybe it was a mistake to come here, I thought to myself. Maybe I should just forget about Henry and Hattie and move on.

But I knew deep down that I couldn't do that. I had to confront the situation head-on, even if it was terrifying and uncomfortable. So I took a deep breath, and resolved to keep trying, try for mine and Henry's possible romantic future.

"Hey, Blair?"

Looking upwards I saw Warren with a sincere, gentle expression. The person I needed to see right now, was him. Inwardly I thanked him for just his presence, he knew me inside and out. So hopefully he hadn't believed the continual talk of the halls.

"Warren, just the person I wanted to see" I smiled back, wrapping my arms around his neck and giving in to a tight, warm embrace. Blair a mere few months ago would of been screaming at me, why would I personally engage with physical contact?

"Are you okay? I've heard about you and Henry, I don't believe it Blair. What's happened?" Warren quickly rambled as he strolled back and forwards. "Don't worry, I'll be here. No matter what"

My eyes got watery from his words, I was truly happy to have him as a friend. An unlikely friendship, but one that has made my life a little less hard.

"So, Henry kissed me last night. He told Hattie, he admitted he didn't want to be with her. But she said that she has known for awhile there is something going on, and apparently we had sex which is utter bullshit. Now everyone fucking hates me- Henry and I haven't spoken or done anything other than that kiss since Hattie came here and I found out"

Warren's expression softened as I opened up to him. I felt a weight lifted off me as I shared the truth with someone who believed in me. It was a relief to know that not everyone was against me, that there were still people who were willing to listen and support me.