❙ 006. World's Limelight

Disclaimer: I do not own My Hero Academia or anything related to it, such as characters, plots, etc. I do not own any images used in this story. I only own original characters that are introduced, and the plot of this fanfiction. I apologize for the grammar issues. English is not my first language.

***

"Shoto, good morn-"

Your words fall on deaf ears when a pair of hands wrap themselves around your neck, not too hard that you almost choke, but definitely shocking enough that you don't know how to react other than sitting stiffly on your seat, head turned to the side. It's uncomfortable, but whatever's happening right now is much more important.

What happened? Was he returning your yesterday's hug? Did nothing really happen yesterday? You don't even have the bravery to pull back to see what kind of expression he's making. Did you do something weird? Was this some kind of farewell hug?

"I missed you." That's all he said, that's all he lets on, and you feel him tighten his hold around you.

You don't know what happened to him, but you know surely there's something that involved you in his talk with Endeavor. He must have wanted to get rid of you from Shoto's side: too bad you're an amazing kid of an amazing father. Endeavor must have been afraid of father, huh? You feel grateful for your father, really.

Not only that you are allowed to become friends with the ever-distant prince, but now, you are able to remain friends, until canon starts. You're grateful for that.

Still, not knowing other ways to react to Shoto's gesture, you just raise your hands, wrapping them around his waist before giving a pat on his back. "I missed you too."

"Talk to her about anything that happened inside this house, and you will never be able to see her. Remember this, Shoto?"

Shoto's face stays neutral in the contrast between the flashback and the current condition.

For the very first time, Shoto is allowed to keep someone as a friend, even though his method is questionable, he is allowed to continue being your friend. He may isn't able to do the same with his siblings, but once he has the time, he promises he will tell them more about you, just like how he told his mother about you.

He doesn't know why is his father letting you go, but it's okay, you're with him now. You won't leave him because of his father. You're here, you will always be here now.

He promises, when he has enough power, when he can ignore his father's shouts to train him, he'll let you know everything. It won't matter if his father will hunt for him at that time, he'll just run away from home or something. He can do that. He'll make a house out of ice, or something like that ice house slash dome in TV.

For now, he'll comply with his father's request, so long as he can stay by your side.

When he gets older, though, he won't promise it.

***

"Shoto... You don't need to stare at Romero like that." You turn over your head at your seatmate who has been staring (glaring) at you and your former assaulter's interaction since the moment Romero decided to approach you after the first class was finished.

The spiky-haired boy was quiet when he walked over to your seat, and the moment he finally stood beside your desk, Shoto was the first one to look up and stared hard at him.

You don't know what happened between the both of them, but seeing Romero approaching you, you're sure he meant well. He doesn't seem harmful or mad, or anything like that. It's a shame Shoto doesn't seem to like him with his mistrustful gaze.