The Reason is You

Lucifer sat in the reserved seat, scrolling through his phone. He came to the restaurant half an hour early since he had nothing else to do back at Lux. As the restaurant started to fill with more customers by the minute, his eyes were locked on the entrance, waiting intently for Chloe's appearance.

He had to admit he was quite nervous because it has been quite a long time since their last date. He looked at his watch from time to time, then turn his attention back to social media. Finally after what had seem like a decade, Chloe arrived.

She spent an hour choosing what to wear and what to say, but when it came to the actual matter, she freaked out. It's been a long time since Chloe dated someone...

She glanced at Lucifer, who wore an expensive white suit, waving to her as she entered the restaurant. She loves him, and she doesn't want to screw it up.

So without more thought, she sat down beside him. "Glad you could make it." He said.

How long have you been waiting?"

"Umm... around 34 minutes and 51 seconds." He smiled wryly. "Give or take." He said as he poured some wine into his and Chloe's glass. The light was dim but the candle glowed so brightly, shining through the darkness.

The Light bringer.

The waiter walked by their table to take their order. He stood there with his little notebook, waiting. "Well, I guess I'll order your specialty." He said, then turning to Chloe.

"Then what about you, Miss...?"

"I'll order the spaghetti, please." Chloe said as she took a sip of wine from her glass.

"Anything else?" The waiter asked before leaving.

"No thank you." Chloe replied for the both of them.

After he left, there was an awkward silence between the two. "I never came her before, but I looked at the ratings and they were pretty high." Chloe said, breaking the silence.

"How have you not been here before? The food here is exceptional, it's one of the finest in LA!" He smirked. "Wait till you try it."

"Okay." She giggled. He loves it when she giggles, how could a monster like me ever deserve her? He thought to himself solemnly.

"Lucifer? Are you okay?" Chloe asked, snapping her fingers. "You seemed to be staring at me and I got worried."

"Ah, don't worry detective everything's fine." He said. "And speaking of the food..." At that moment, the waiter came back with their food.

After saying grace, they began enjoying the food. They shared the food together and typical Lucifer would say a few remarks or jokes between conversations. They joked, they laughed. It was a night they would never forget.

Just after they finished their meal and were about to leave, the lights in the restaurant started turning into a shade of pink and purple, the voices of the other chatting customers started to dial down, and then background music started to play. Chloe tried to look around for the source of music but she couldn't find it. The music was sort of just spreading through the air, as if it were all just playing in her head.

But when the customers and waiters all suddenly stood up from their chairs, stopping from whatever they were doing and started dancing, she knew it was definitely real.

The background music of the song titled 'The Reason' turned louder by the second and Lucifer stood up on a chair and started singing.

♪ I'm not a perfect person ♪
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you~
And so, I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know
I've found a reason for me~
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new~
♪ And the reason is you ♪

[Reference: S5 E10 Bloody Karaoke Celestial Jam]

And then everyone suddenly sat back at their seats like nothing happened the moment the song ended. Chloe was absolutely stunned. Did he just make everyone in the restaurant dance to the song and then make them forget everything that happened right the second the song ended?
The amount of precision-

It sounded crazy even just thinking about it.

"Did you just...?" She wanted to formulate the question without sounding like someone from a mental hospital.

"I-" He was about to say something but then Chloe went forward and kissed him. "This is the best night I had in my entire lifetime."

"Mine too." He smiled.

*****

BACK AT LUX

They stood at the balcony, looking at the amazing view of LA. The cold breezy air brushed against their faces as they continued chatting and laughing. He couldn't have want the date to go any better. But you don't deserve her, the monster inside him wouldn't stop bugging.

How could you ever deserve her?

And Lucifer couldn't help but say that it was true.

"Lucifer, are you okay? You seem a bit off." Chloe asked.

"Yeah I'm fine." He chuckled slightly. "I was just wondering how did I ever get someone as beautiful and as kind and as smart and as-"

"I love you Lucifer." She said, smiling.

"I love you too." Lucifer said. "And you're the only one I want to ever be with until the end of time." Chloe smiled, but she never could've predicted what happened afterwards.

He suddenly kneeled on the ground, pulling out a ring box from his pocket. The ring was so beautiful, it looked almost as if it was made from out-of-this world. [And it probably is].

His heart was racing, he could almost hear it beating against his chest. He took a deep breath, and then holding the ring in his hand, he proceeded to say the four most life-changing words in the English dictionary...

"Chloe Decker, will you marry me?"