Kidnapped by a hard teddy bear

I sit in my backyard soaking up the late May sun while reading the newest James Patterson novel. Welcome to Bane, Georgia. Population: 439. This crazy small town is my home. You would think that because of its size, the drama here is at a minimum. Well, then you my friend are wrong. We have one very big issue here in Bane. We have an uncontrollable kidnapping monster. Let me elaborate on that statement before you call the hospital and tell them that they need to put me in the crazy house. Let me tell you a story that has been told to everyone here at a very young age.

Each year when the clock strikes 12 and declares it the first of June, the monster of the woods will come into town and choose his mate. It is always a girl around the age of 18. (Which is crazy because over all of these years this monster must have quite a few mates in house. He is just asking to remake "Mean Girl's" with all of the different women he has.) The girl is never heard from or seen again. Lucky for me, I am 17 years old and in seven hours it will be midnight. The exact time the monster will choose his mate. I am not afraid because I am practically invisible. No one notices me, why should a monster?

I moved to Bane for the summer with my friend, Bennie, until we can work up enough money at her aunt's bakery so that we can go to college in New Jersey. I am not too fond of the idea of moving to a big city like that even if it is for a couple of years. But, Bennie is my friend, and she is basically all I have anymore. She isn't even the nicest person to me in the world, or anyone really, but she is the only one who doesn't judge about my family situation. We are actually polar opposites. I hope starting over in New Jersey will give me the opportunity to break away from Bennie and start over. I was adopted by an abusive couple. I never considered them my parents, I don't think I ever will. However, I learned to make the best out of things that seem horrible because in the long run they could turn to joy.

Six hours later I go downstairs to make myself some hot cocoa and I see Bennie falling asleep by the TV. I turn it off for her and hand her a blanket.

"Thanks." She says with a yawn.

"You're welcome."

"Hey B?"

"Yeah."

"Aren't you a little nervous about tonight? You know with the monster and all?" I think for a little bit before I respond.

"Why should we be nervous about things we can't control? If they are going to happen, then they are going to happen. We can't control fate." I say with false calmness.

"But you aren't afraid that the monster is going to take you away forever and ever?" I cross my fingers behind my back.

"Nah." I say calmly. I hate lying. I rarely do it. I just don't want to freak her out because it seems the closer to midnight it becomes, the more afraid I become. I just pray that everything will be alright in the end.

"I wish I could be brave like you because I'm so nervous I had to go to the pharmacy yesterday to get some sleeping pills. I was shaking just thinking about tonight." I smile at her sadly.

"Go to sleep Bennie. I'll see you tomorrow."

"G'night."

I walk away from her with a shadow of fear. I make my hot cocoa and go upstairs to my room. But not before I make sure all of the windows down by Bennie are shut and the curtains are closed. I sit on my windowsill and listen to "Lo Ti Penso Amore" by Paganini softly. That song always calms me whether I am nervous or afraid. I finish my cocoa and turn the music off. It's 11:55. I look out of the window and I see nothing. The moon is full and mighty. The stars are bright and beautiful. They are my favorite thing about the sky. I sigh and move to my bed hoping to possibly get some sleep. I close my eyes and just before I go to sleep I hear a thump on the side of my room where my back is turned. The same side where my window is and now I remember that I should have closed it especially on a night like this.