Chapter 23

Louis was standing in the cold at a bus stop. If was the first time in years he would be getting on one. It was a faster way to getting to his destination then walking, that he knew for sure.

The bus came, and he paid for a ticket. He took a seat beside the window, looking at the trees and people passing by. It felt kind of peaceful, him sitting there while the world was spinning around outside.

People were getting on and off along the way. Louis didn't know exactly at which stop he needed to get out so he kind off guessed. He was met with the cold air again, messing up his hair, making it all messy. Like all the time in front of the mirror hadn't mattered.

Louis frowned when he saw the lack of people walking around. Sure there wasn't much sun right now, but it wasn't that kind of a bad weather either. He walked along the pavement, his eyes scanning for street signs he may would recognize. So far he hadn't had any luck.

He got the feeling he did get off the wrong stop. He saw a taxi passing. Maybe that was a option. Then he could just tell the address directly, and the taxi driver would take him to the location without any miscommunication. But then again, the taxi drove by long before Louis could even realize the thought. There wasn't any other option then just keep walking.

Louis also knew if he would turn his phone on, it would be full of notifications and missed calls. Of people who said that they missed him. He knew that his father would be mad probably but Louis couldn't care less about that. He needed to get to his old house. His old home. The home that got ripped away from him under his nose.

Still his feet were walking in hopefully the right direction. ''Hello.. excuse me..'' A voice called behind him. Stopping dead in his tracks, turning around slowly. He came face to face with an older lady. Her hair already almost greyish white. ''Yes?'' Louis hesitantly asked. ''Do you maybe now how late it is?'' She asked, her tone soft like a grandmother. ''Uhm.. I am sorry but I don't know either..'' Louis replied. ''Oh my bad. I thought a young boy like you must know, being in this newer generation and all..''

''I don't have my phone on me currently.'' Louis replied, his lips curving into a small smile. The lie easily left his tongue. Maybe a little too easy. ''Oh sorry dear.. I didn't know.. I have to be home around three, my grandchild will be visiting but I had to get some last minute shopping. Well anyways thank you for your time.'' She said. Louis just now noticed the shopping bag that she was holding. She was about to turn around and walk away again when louis called out. The old lady looked at him with questioning eyes.

''Do you maybe know where I am?'' Louis askes her. figuring out it was easier to ask her then turn on his phone and search in google maps his location. ''You are in Brixton dear.'' She replied. ''Thanks.''

She turned back around and walked away again, probably going to her house where her grandchild will be soon or maybe her grandchild is already there waiting for her. Brixton, the name sounded familiar. He sure as hell recognizes the name off the town. He was right about one thing, he definitely got off an stop or two too early.

He somehow got to catch to ride with someone. Bringing him to the town he was supposed to be. ''So what bring you her kid? All alone roaming the streets?'' The guy asks. ''I was a little lost s'all.'' Louis replied, looking out of the window. He was not in the mood for small talk, he just already wanted to be there. ''Well our ride ends here. Nice talking to you.. although I never really got replies.'' He said, the car coming to a halt. And it was in fact true Louis never really replied to his questions except for a few.

Louis opened the door, flashing a smile to the driver before slamming the door shut. He knew the route now. Third street left, then the first right. Walking across the bridge over the lake. The second street left again and then it would be the fourth house in that street. The house he once called home. The house he grew up in.

Louis got more and more excited the more closer he got. It was like a feeling inside of his stomach. Maybe it was even nerves. He knew that a new family would live there now. Would they even open the door? Would they leave him standing there?

The house came into view. It looked the same from a distance. But it changed a bit as soon as you got closer. The door was painted an different colour now. The fence was made and not broken. The garden looked nice and clean. Like somebody goes over it every day to take care of it.

Louis had to admit that the situation was more and more intimidating when he stood in front of the door. His hand centimetres away from ringing the doorbell.

It rung for a long time before a woman opened the door. She had brown hair coming to her shoulders. She must be in her fifties Louis guessed. She looked confused at Louis. Wondering why a stranger is standing in front of her, ringing her bell. ''Who are you?'' Her voice is hesitant. One hand was going to her pocket slowly, ready to call the police if he ever was going to try something.

Everything was pretty much a chaos on the other side. Mark was pacing the room up and down while trying to call Louis once again. Anne was on the verge of calling the police at this point. Harry was sitting on the couch watching it all unfold in front of him. Louis was missing, he never came home from school.

'Louis where are you?'

'Mom and Mark are freaking out?'

'They are going to call the police soon..'

'Going to try and hold that idea off as long as possible'

'Did something happen?'

'Where are you?'

'We are worried'

'Why are you doing this?'

'Is it something I did or said?'

'I am sorry if it is because of me'

These were just a few off the many texts Harry send to Louis, all unanswered. Mark told them that Louis walked away once before in his life. He was probably around the age off 10. Claiming that he knew it all. So he packed his backpack and grabbed his favourite stuffed animal. And walked out of the door. Louis his mother found him later just outside of the playground on a bench crying. Whispering over and over again that he was sorry when his mother took him in her arms. She shushed him and took him home. That was the last and only time he did something like this until now apparently.

''This boy is going to be the death of me.'' Harry heard Mark mutter. ''It will be okay. Maybe he is just visiting a friend?'' Anne suggested. ''Then why did he turn his phone off?''

Anne went silent at that question. ''Mark..'' Harry said suddenly. ''Yeah?'' ''Is there any place Louis would go to? Like think about it for a moment.. What are places that he would possibly turn to?'' Harry asked Mark. Mark pursed his lip for a second

''I mean I can think of a few places but that would be crazy..'' ''I have the feeling that nothing is crazy enough for Louis..'' Harry said loudly, closing his eyes for a moment. Mark looked at him and silently agreed with his eyes.

''Let's just wait for a few more hours.. maybe he will show up before dinner?'' Harry suggested. Both Anne and Mark looked at him warily but agreed with what he said. They were giving Louis a few more hours till they would notify the police. And maybe those few more hours were all Louis needed. Maybe not.