Chapter 21: Turmoil

***A few hours earlier, after Wyatt left Kingston***

Ebony

A sharp, urgent knocking jolted me awake from a deep sleep, sending my heart racing and my breaths coming in short gasps. I lay there for a moment, disoriented, trying to make sense of the noise. It sounded like it was coming from the front door, but who could possibly be knocking this early in the morning?

I fumbled for my phone on the nightstand, squinting at the bright screen. 5:23 am. Groaning, I swung my legs over the side of the bed, feeling the cool wood floor against my bare feet. I rubbed my eyes and staggered to my feet, feeling my heart still pounding in my chest.

As I stumbled towards the front door, the knocking grew louder and more insistent, echoing through the empty house. I could hear my own breathing now, ragged and uneven. Was it a burglar? A deranged stranger? My mind raced with possibilities, each one more terrifying than the last.

Finally, I reached the front door and cautiously peered through the peephole.

My heart sank when I saw Wyatt's face through the peephole, his eyes dark and intense with worry. He was breathing heavily, like he had run all the way here. I hesitated for a moment, unsure if I should open the door. But then he spoke, his voice urgent and insistent.

"Ebony, open the goddamn door! You have to come with me. Now. It's not safe here," he said, his words coming out in a rush.

I bit my lip, feeling a surge of panic.

"Wh- what's going on?"

Wyatt slammed his fist hard against the door again, obviously frustrated that I hadn't opened the door yet.

"Ebony, I swear to god... we don't have time for this. Open the door and I'll explain."

I paused, my heart hammering so loud it drowned my thoughts. With a heavy exhale, I finally gave in, my hand turning the locks and releasing the door. The moment it cracked open, Wyatt surged in, his solid frame pushing past me urgently. He spun around, his intense gaze fixing on me as he backed me into a corner by the foyer wall.

My eyes widened, a sharp inhale catching in my throat as the reality sunk in. The Wyatt before me was a far cry from the one I'd seen earlier. His eyes blazed with anger, a fire raging in their depths as he sized me up. He looked like he'd been through a brawl and come out on the losing end. His clothes were a mess, bloodstained and disheveled, and his hair was all over the place. It was a stark contrast to how he'd looked when he left earlier in the night.

Gritting his teeth and obviously trying to compose himself, he reached out, grasping my throat and pinning me to the wall.

"Next time when I tell you to do something you do it."

Being defiant, I turned my head and looked away.

Wyatt's grip tightened around my throat, cutting off my air supply. I struggled against his hold, my hands frantically clawing at his arm in a desperate attempt to free myself. Eventually, I kneed him in the dick which caused him to reflexively let go of me. 

"Get you're mayo monkey hands off me!" I gritted out with unabated anger. I didn't give a damn how urgent the scenario was or that he wanted me to be his submissive. Wyatt needed to learn how to read the room and realize how frightening and confusing this situation was for me.

After a few moments, Wyatt finally composed himself by pinching the bridge of his nose and taking a few deep breaths. Despite that, I could see the red hot anger bubbling beneath the surface in his eyes.

"Listen to me, Ebony. This is serious," he hissed, his breath hot against my face as he leaned back into me.

My heart was pounding so hard, I could feel it in every inch of my body. I knew I had to stay calm and focused so that I didn't set him off.