Chapter 8: Unnerved

Kaylani

As the water from the shower cascaded down my body, I recollected on the day I'd just had.

How did I end up here?

Today was one of the most chaotic days in my entire life and that was saying A LOT. As someone who watched my father slowly kill my mother and then was placed into the foster care system because of it, I can confirm that this one day was on par with all of the trauma I'd endured growing up my entire life.

I was regretting even moving to this stupid ass redneck town. I hated to admit it but Ebony was right, this town was no place for black people and I didn't belong here.

Because of my background, I had this overly sensitive spot for people who needed help. Growing up, I prayed nightly that someone would come and save me from the foster care system but no one ever did.

Once I grew up, I hoped to be that angel for those in need because I never had that.

But today put everything into perspective for me... I realized that I couldn't save the world no matter how much I tried. Evil was always going to be present. Kingston and his gang were the epitome of that worldy evil.

I shut off the water and reached for my towel to dry myself. While standing in front of the mirror, I observed my bloodshot eyes and puffy cheeks from all of the crying I'd done this evening.

I was finally all cried out.

I ambled out of the bathroom and grabbed the clothes Kingston provided me. An oversized white t-shirt and a pair of grey sweats. I slipped them on and immediately, I was engulfed in his masculine sent.

Surprisingly it was pleasant although I was reluctant to admit that to myself.

My mind flashed to an image of Kingston and anguish engulfed me for even being physically attracted to someone with so much evil in his heart and spirit. His dark soul deadened any possibility of me wanting to know him more. In fact, I was utterly repulsed by him.

I glanced at the clock on the nightstand and realized it was a little after 9PM. After all the adrenaline, I finally remembered I hadn't eaten or drank anything all day and now I was feeling my stomach rumble in anguish.

Should I venture to the kitchen or keep my ass in my room? That was the big question.

Kingston said I had free reign of the house as long as Joleen wasn't here. Last time I checked, she wasn't here. Therefore, I should've been good.

My anxiety was through the roof at the idea of running into the lord of the house. I prayed to god that Kingston wasn't around. The man gave me uncontrollable chills every time I saw him.

Taking in a few deep breaths and gathering my courage, I opened my room door and tiptoed only a few feet down the hall.

That's when I heard muffled noises from downstairs.

Fuck!

He was probably down there.

I should probably go back to my room.

I was about to pivot and head back to my room when my stomach let out another tumultuous growl.

Damn it!