Chapter 14: Hostility

Ebony

When I made the decision to move back to Green Oaks, I never could have imagined the turn my life would take

Kaylani and I had big dreams when we moved here but instead, we found ourselves embroiled in a situation that seemed impossible to escape from.

Kaylani was clearly struggling with guilt over the predicament we found ourselves in. I could see it in her eyes every time she looked at me, and I knew that she felt responsible for dragging me into this mess. But I was determined to prove her wrong. I wasn't as weak as she thought I was, and I was willing to do whatever it took to get us both out of this situation.

Donna, Kingstons housekeeper, had been a godsend during my time stuck on his compound.

After Joleen had beaten me up this morning, Donna had taken me under her wing and helped me with my injuries.

While placing an icepack on my forehead, Donna had also been a source of strength and encouragement when I needed it the most.

In all honesty, it was hard to believe that someone so kind and caring could be involved with people like Kingston and Joleen.

My mind shifted back to the present when Donna tapped lightly on my room door before entering. She stood in the doorway with a warm smile on her plump round face.

"Good news, Kingston says you'll be going home tonight."

I felt a surge of hope. I had been praying for a way out of this mess, and it seemed like my prayers had finally been answered.

But I couldn't shake the feeling of unease. Kaylani had left to try and get us help, and she had been gone for longer than expected. I prayed that she was safe and that she would come back soon.

"Have you heard from Kaylani?" I asked anxiously. "Is she okay."

Donna averted her eyes as she responded, almost as if she was hiding something from me.

"Kaylani is fine, dear. She's with Kingston but he isn't hurting her, I promise."

I peered at Donna for a few seconds longer, trying to read if I was missing something but she kept avoiding eye contact so I eventually let it go.

"I have to go but I'll be back when it's time to go."

I nodded my head and Donna exited my room.

I climbed off the bed and stood before the mirror, the sight of my battered face making my blood boil. A hot wave of anger and frustration coursed through my veins.

I hated that I had been so powerless to defend myself.

I touched my cheeks gingerly, relieved to find that the swelling had gone down considerably. But my left eye was a different story. It was bruised black and blue, a stark reminder of the savage beating Joleen had inflicted upon me for absolutely no reason.