Chapter 10: Nightmare

Kaylani

The moment my room door swung open and Joleen ambled inside, I was startled and quickly sat up

There was absolutely no time for my body to slowly wake up while this psychopath was swinging my room door open unannounced.

Instead, my eyes narrowed and I was keenly aware of what might be going on with Joleen. Was she here for a fight? Because of this, my body immediately went into fight or flight mode.

Obviously there wasn't anywhere for me to really run to so I mentally prepared for the other option...a fight.

What did this evil bitch want, now?

Where was Kingston? Didn't he PROMISE me she wouldn't bother me again?

This is why I didn't believe the shit spewing from his mouth last night.

Kingston couldn't handle Joleen despite his macho man façade pretending that he was in complete control; clearly, Joleen was a maniac and did as she pleased.

I eyed Joleen as she confidently ambled into my room and walked up to my windows, pulling the curtains open.

"We need to talk." She stated as she stood by one of the oversized windows and peered outside without looking at me.

I continued to observe her every move, making sure she never got to close.

"If you're wondering, Kingston isn't here." She paused to obviously let that sink in.

"Apparently he had an emergency this morning and either forgot or couldn't take me. I'm not sure...either way we are somewhat alone."

What did that mean? ..."Somewhat"

Joleen finally turned to look at me with a devious smirk on her face but she never came any closer.

I took in her appearance.

Her strawberry blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail, exposing more of her large ears and bare face. She looked tired, as if she'd been crying all night. No matter how much of a front she was putting on right now, I knew her emotions were still very much raw and fragile.

I remained silent as Joleen continued to speak.

"Kingston seems to like you a lot and I don't get it. Last night was the first time we'd slept under the same roof but in different beds." Joleen subconsciously touched the cheek he'd slapped as she continued. "We got into an argument because he wouldn't give me the reassurance I wanted..."