26| Declan

Declan James suspended for 2 games, out for Tundra.

I sigh, locking my phone and tossing it onto the couch.

You accidentally make an illegal hit in a game and it leads to a match major penalty--fair, okay--but a two-game suspension? That was ridiculous.

At the hearing this morning, they'd declared that the hit was intentional, despite my telling them the truth.

I was fueled up. I let my personal life intervene with the game. It's as simple as that.

I brought my stick back to get the puck out from under my feet, Colorado's defenseman happened to be right behind me and took an elbow to the face. I'll admit, the hit was brutal and he flipped backward. But it was not intentional.

Why would I intentionally hit a man I like? Drew Markun is a helluva player and an even better human being. I visit him and his family whenever I'm in town, we're good buddies, you know?

He called me last night after the game, said he wasn't mad, and knew it wasn't intentional. He said the same thing at the hearing this morning. So why the hell am I facing a suspension?

I'll tell you why. The league has it out for me. I draw too many penalties and I get into too many fights. They've been itching to suspend me, I just know it.

"Mr.James, are you home?" Yvette calls out from the front door. I stand up from the couch and rush to help her bring in the groceries. "Oh, you don't have to help."

I ignore her protest and take the bags from her hands. "I'll grab the last few from the car."

I set the plastic bags on the counter and peek inside.

"You go do what you need to do. I'm here to do my job."

"I don't have anything to do." I shrug. "You can go home for the day, Yvette. Take the rest of the week off too."

Yvette's brows furrow. "But I-"

"You're not needed this week. I'll still pay you. I'm gonna be home all week so you don't need to do the things I can do myself."

"Oh, um, don't you have games this week? Or are they matches? I'm not up to speed on my hockey knowledge." She awkwardly chuckles.

"I got suspended."

"Oh... For how long?"

"Just two games," I answer, beginning to unpack the bags. "Go see your grandkids."

"Thank you, Mr.James." She nods her head before leaving the kitchen.

I listen for the sound of the door closing while I put the groceries away, and when it does I let my shoulders slump, walk out the back door, and light a cigarette.

I don't smoke much, just when I'm stressed or anxious.

I'm just not in the mood for any more human interaction today.

But my girlfriend apparently has other plans.

Girlfriend. How crazy is that? I have a girlfriend. It feels surreal.

The back door slides open. "Hello?"

I'd given Macy the keypad code and told her to let herself in whenever she was coming over. I trusted that she wouldn't just constantly show up at random times without at least shooting me a text first.

I glance back and quickly put the cigarette out before she sees it.

Macy appears a few minutes later. "I was gonna call but, I figured it would be more fun to surprise you." She flashes me a nervous smile. "I saw the news."

Moral DevotionsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara