22| Macy

"Hi, thank you for calling Robertson Law Firm, unfortunately, we are-"

I grunt as I hang up the phone before I accidentally leave a voicemail.

I go to my recent calls and scroll down until I find Ava's name. I bring the phone to my ear as my foot anxiously taps against the floorboard.

It rings, once, twice, then, it clicks, and my heart rate spikes.

"Hello?" My mom's voice comes through the phone and my breath hitches.

I go to speak but the words come out.

"Is anyone there?"

Declan's fingers lace through mine, and suddenly all my words come back. "Mom?"

There's silence. Pen-drop silence. And when I think she's going to hang up, she takes me by surprise. "Macy? Honey, is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me."

A relieved breath comes from the phone. "Oh, thank God. She got ahold of you."

"What's going on with Ava? Is she okay?"

"She's been having seizures. She's stable right now, but they've got her in a medically induced coma."

"Why? Where- Where's Dad?"

"He's at the office."

I scoff. "Of course he is. Why didn't you call me, Mom?"

"I couldn't sweetie. Your father would've- he would've."

"He would've what, Mom?" I sit up in my seat.

"Never mind, it doesn't matter. I couldn't stand the thought of you not knowing, so I had your aunt contact you. Honey, I think you should come to see her. The doctors don't think..." Her voice chokes and tears prick my eyes. "They don't how much longer she has."

The world stops. My phone slips out of my hand and hits the floorboard.

Declan is speaking but I can't hear him. My mom is still on the line, asking where I am, but the words don't process.

My sister is dying. And it's all because of me.

I don't even notice Declan pull onto the shoulder. I don't notice him squeeze my hand.

"Hey. Look at me, Macy." He grips the sides of my face and looks at me. "What's going on?"

"S-she's..." I try to say it, but the words won't come out.

Declan

I reach down and pick up the phone from the floorboard. "Hold on, sweetheart," I tell Macy, bringing the phone to my ear.

I pull back onto the road and continue driving to Axel's grandparents' house.

"Hello? Are you still there?" I ask. "Mrs.Robertson?"

"Who is this?" A female voice comes through the phone.

"My name is Declan. I'm a... er, friend of Macy's."

"Where is she?"

I glance over at her. Her expression is neutral, but there are tears falling from her eyes. "I think she's in shock, ma'am. I need you to tell me what's going on."

A shaky breath comes from the phone. "I don't know how much she's told you about her sister."

"Pretty much all of it."

"Well a few weeks ago, she had a stroke. Then she's had seizures since, and she's currently in a coma. Can you get Macy to New York? She needs to see her sister."