13.0

Damon has been acting off ever since I got back from Thanksgiving break. I mean I expected him to after the first week or so, the wounds were still fresh and I'd assumed he would be upset.

But it's been over a month.

It seems like he keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm not sure what his brother said to him that made him leave, and I'm not sure what his dad told him when he got back. But it's like he's had a switch in personality.

He's still the person I fell for. He's still so sweet to me and we go on dates and stuff. 

It's just...I think he's drinking.

The first sign was really the only one I needed. He doesn't drive his truck anymore. He has a driver now who escorts him from place to place. He picks me up in it and everything. It's been weird, and I don't know how to broach the subject. I don't want him to pull away from me.

I know I should tell someone about it, but I just...

I don't know.

He's a little more unhinged at school too. It's like anyone who looks in my direction, he snaps at. 

I just wish I knew what was going on with him. Maybe I could help.

But every time I ask if he's okay, he just shrugs it off. He says he's with me so he couldn't be more great. I guess that's why I've been so hesitant to say something.

I've been so worried that I haven't even thought much about the fact that I told him I loved him and he still hasn't said it back. I don't blame him. I wouldn't want him to say it if he doesn't mean it. I don't regret saying it at all.

It does sting a little not hearing it back though, I won't deny that.

I walk outside, a light jacket around my shoulders as I shut and lock the door behind me.

"Good morning Ms. Blaine"

"Good morning Rick" I nod to him with a small smile.

He opens the car door for me, and I slide in next to Damon who is very clearly stuffing a flask back into his jacket. 

"Hey" he smirks, leaning over to give me a kiss.

"Hi" I smile softly trying not to cringe at the taste of alcohol on his lips. I used to love when he kissed me. I still do, I just hate that it's tainted now.

"Sorry I didn't call last night" he slides me closer and I lay my head where it reaches on his chest. "I was up late with my dad"

My heart falls. "What were you guys doing?" I ask trying to sound interested.

"Just talking" he shrugs. "Catching up"

"Oh" I nod, biting the inside of my cheek.

He's quiet for a while before speaking again. "We were talking about me starting to work with him a bit earlier and maybe just finishing up school online. Getting my GED"

"What?" my voice cracks and I sit up to look at him. He's not really considering that is he? Working for his dad? Leaving school?

"It's just talk" he tucks my hair behind my ear. "Don't worry, I'll still bring you to school. I won't let anyone mess with you"

"I'm not-" I shake my head. "School's almost over, why not wait until graduation? It's just a few more months"

"Yeah but those are months I could spend training. I've put it off long enough" he replies blankly.

"But-" I stammer. "You want to work with your dad? You want to?"

Damons eyes darken and he pulls away from me. "My dad built Parker Industries from the ground up. His own sweat and blood. It's my job to take it over, I'm his son. I'm a Parker"