4.0

I slide my new glasses, that look very similar to my old ones, up my nose. I stare at myself in the mirror gliding my eyes around and scrutinizing my outfit. I'm wearing white overall shorts with an orange t-shirt underneath and my white converse. 

I have a boyfriend.

Yup. Pigs are flying, hell has frozen over, and all the other analogies we use for bizarre situations because this is a bizarre situation. Me having a boyfriend is bizarre.

I twirl my phone in my hands. It's eight a.m Wednesday morning, so in Texas it's six a.m. She should be up.

Biting my lip, I dial her number and put it to my ear.

"Hey!" Hazel chirps into the phone as if it isn't early in the morning. "You never call this early in the morning"

"I know" I chew on my lip. "Are you busy? I can call later"

"I can talk, just give me one second" she says. "AJ sit down and eat, stop throwing that football. Logan can you-" I hear a kissing sound on the other end of the phone and then Logans mumbled voice. "Thank you. Okay Ellie I'm all yours"

"Oh okay, um..." If I'm being completely honest I didn't think she would answer the phone. She's got a second grader, two first graders, and two kindergartners. Her mornings are busy. Actually her days are busy, it's rare to catch her at a good time.

"What's going on?" she asks in a worried voice.

"Nothing, nothing I-" I take a deep breath. "I have a boyfriend"

There is a long spell of silence and I wait for her to take it in.

"Ellie..." she trails.

"Yes?"

"How did that happen?"

"I don't know" I huff. "I-he-he stands up for me and he likes me I guess. So he wanted to be my boyfriend and I objected but he was persistent and well-he doesn't like people but he likes me, so. I wanted to just be friends because I never had a friend before and he-he could be a pretty good friend because he doesn't hate me like everyone else but he said he liked me too much to be friends, that he couldn't be my friend so I agreed and-"

"Ellie" Hazels calming voice comes through the phone, shutting up my rant. "Just take a breath" she instructs and I do inhale and exhale deeply. "Do you want to be his girlfriend?"

I think about it for a second before responding. "I-yes. I think so"

"How long have you known this guy?" she continues to question.

"A week and a half" I reply. 

"Okay" I can hear the skepticism in her voice. "So...well maybe you should think about this a little longer"

"He's not-" I take a deep breath feeling the sudden need to defend Damon. "He's Iron Man" I blurt.

"Okay..."

"He's can be an asshole and mean and very cocky but just not with me. Well he's-he's still cocky but..." I chew on my finger nail. "They broke my glasses and the whole day he walked me around school, holding my hand because I couldn't see and then took me to pick up a new pair. I feel stupid for agreeing and I can't stop feeling like this is one big grand plan and I called you because I need you to tell me that it isn't, that this could be a-a good thing"

"Ellie" she says calmingly. "This could be a good thing"

I release a deep breath and plop down on my bed.

"It sounds like he likes you and even though I'll be checking him out for myself, I trust your judgement because it's always been spot on. But Ellie I swear if he does a single thing-"