12.0

Damons POV

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the game?" Ellie frowns, her face riddled with worry.

"Yeah" I nod looking up at her. I'm sitting on the edge of the bed and she's standing in front of me. "It's a family thing for you guys anyway"

"Maybe, I mean...I'll stay here with you" she grabs my hands. "I don't want you to be alone"

"I'm not alone, I've got the dogs to keep me company" I smirk but her frown only deepens. I sigh and stand up, taking her in my arms. "I could use the alone time. I really like your family Ellie, but if I can get a break from my brother and his wife I need to take it. Save myself a little bit of sanity"

"I'm really sorry" she rests her hands on my chest. "I hate how stressful this has been for you, I thought it was going to be fun"

"Are you kidding me?" I tuck her hair behind her ear. "I'm having a great time, I promise. I just need a little break from my brother that's all. I've loved spending time with your family. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of them tonight at dinner"

"Really?" she chews on her bottom lip. "You're having fun?"

"I'm having a blast" I pull her bottom lip from her mouth with my thumb and kiss her softly. "You should go, before I keep you here. Just the two of us, we'd get into some trouble" I whisper against her lips, smirking.

Her cheeks flush pink and she sucks in a soft breath. "Something like last night?"

"Something more" I kiss her again, longer this time, giving her a promise for later. "See you tonight?"

"Yeah" she smiles softly and pecks my lips. I think my favorite thing in the world is when she initiates a kiss, or anything really. Last night I was in the fucking clouds. She's so damn adorable.

"I-" Ellie pauses, cutting herself off. I raise my eyebrow curiously. "You'll text me?"

I nod my head. She gives me one last smile before leaving the room and shutting the door behind her. 

I run my hand over my face and flop back onto the bed.

Truth is, I couldn't get away from here sooner.

⭐︎⭐︎⭐︎

I wait for everyone in the house to leave before exiting the room and taking a shower. After getting dressed, I head downstairs where I'm greeted by the three dogs. 

The house being empty feels a little weird and I've only been here for a day. I walk around a little, the dogs trailing at my feet. When I circle back to the kitchen I debate on getting something to eat because I don't have much of an appetite. 

I open the fridge, my eyes going to the beers on the door. One wouldn't hurt right? Maybe it'll lessen the ache in my chest that's settled there ever since my brother locked eyes with me. 

The beer is cold in my hand, my mouth waters a little. Is this how my dad feels all the time? All the years my dad tried to get me to drink, pushed glasses in my face. Turns out all I needed was my brother showing up. Maybe he should've done this a long time ago.

I put the beer back, shaking my head. I'm better than that. I may end up being like my dad in more ways than I'd like, but this is one way I can control. Never drink alcohol, that I can do.

I find leashes for the dogs on a hook on the wall by the front door. They go wild, barking in excitement at the thought of going on a walk. Guess we'll do that then. 

I hook the leashes onto all three dogs and they nearly pull me out of the house. I hope they don't mind me leaving the door unlocked because I don't have a key to get back in.