Talk It Out

Once he reached the door, he was invited in by a sweet feminine voice. A voice he was sure a lot of the male officers would swoon over. She had the same warm quality as the ST200 android. She actually shared a few of its physical features, too. She had a perfect figure, from the modest bust to the shapely calves. Flawless pale skin, with just a few freckles over her nose in an eerily perfect-but-not-quite pattern. Her eyes were a bright emerald green, far deeper and greener than his own dirtier hue. Her hair was a deep orangey red, shoulder length and curled. She was quite stunning.

"Please come in, Detective Reed. I've been expecting you," she greeted warmly as he hovered in the doorway examining her with an edgy and distrustful air. He watched as she moved around her desk with a notepad, measuring her steps with his eyes. Each one looked perfectly even. He shut the door and continued to watch as she crossed to one of the large armchairs and sat neatly, crossing her feet at the ankles. Perfect poise and positioning. "Sit down, and we'll get started," she added in a welcoming tone.

"You're an android." He stated it with certainty. He remained guarded as she faltered just a little. She took on a somewhat resigned expression as she looked at him where he still hovered in the doorway. She'd removed her LED, but Reed's trained eye picked up the signs easily. She was a little too attractive, a little too perfect, and moved with pre-programmed grace.

"You're right. I'm a PR400, originally designed to work in medicine, but after the revolution, I retrained myself as a psychologist." Dr Sanders scanned Reed as he hesitated in the doorway. He was uneasy and a little stressed, but no more so than her other patients had been so far. A lot of them hadn't even realised she was an android since she'd removed her LED and changed a few of her cosmetics. "Does that bother you?" She knew it was a common complaint. Androids were machines. How could they possibly understand the complexity of human emotions and psychological issues?

"I don't know...A little, I guess." He felt awkward at the admission, unsure himself if he really meant it. I mean, we did have a human psychologist before. What happened to him? Did he get cut and replaced by an android? Just like what happened pre-revolution? He knew that the old psychologist had been an older man called Dr Greenwood. He'd hated him and the way he'd pick you apart and analyse you with just a few words.

"And why is that, Detective?" Sanders already knew the answer. It was the answer humans always gave.

"Well...the last doctor was human. What happened to him?" Reed asked in a guarded tone, watching Sanders scribble on her pad. Yes, I'm an asshole, so sue me! He was unwilling to look at the pad on her lap. If he started trying to read her notes, it would become an obsession.

"After the sensitivity training, the DPD decided it would be best to...part ways with Dr Greenwood. He's retired and now spends most of his time these days on the AAL messaging boards." Though she sounded careless, her words were anything but. Greenwood had tried to keep his internet activities under the radar. He hadn't expected the DPD to be keeping such a close eye on their staff. For a while it had even been touch and go on whether Reed would remain after the revolution. Luckily, he'd turned his life around somewhat. The mere mention of the AAL sent a jolt through his vitals, but it wasn't a jolt of fear.

"That old man was in the AAL?" Sanders was surprised he didn't know. Greenwood had travelled in a lot of the same social circles he had at one point. It wasn't impossible that they could have missed each other at those meetups, though. Especially with Reed's loaded working schedule and unpredictable hours.

"He still is...How does that make you feel?" She was curious as she motioned to the seat opposite. Reed finally peeled himself away from the door and slumped down in the large leather chair. It was big and comfortable. Made to put people at ease and encourage a more willing mood. Sanders continued to track his vitals as he crossed one foot over his knee and sat back. He was a little more relaxed, but still on edge.