Communication

Gavin winced, slowly becoming aware of the world around him. There were voices. Angry and timid. He winced as he tried to focus in on what they were saying. He was in pain. A lot of fucking pain. There was a dull aching throb in his right shoulder, as well as smaller aches in his left side and knee, and bruising on his face and knuckles. He winced as he let out a shuddering breath, trying to raise his heavy eyelids to see what was going on. The white light in the room was blindingly familiar. He didn't even need to hear the beeping to know he was in the hospital. The firm mattress and fresh cotton sheets paired with the smell of disinfectant did that for him.

"I've told you, this area is for authorised personnel only!" It was a woman. Someone he didn't know. She sounded firm and somewhat stubborn. Gavin could just focus enough to see the petite nurse trying to hold off Nines' towering form. She wasn't the only nurse present, just the only one brave enough to speak. There was a male nurse in green scrubs leaning against the wall, holding his ribs. A sure sign that he'd already tried to physically remove Nines from the corridor at some point.

"And I informed you that your human regulations do not apply to me," Nines stated in a voice that sounded a lot like Connor's, only pitched slightly deeper. It suited him, as it had suited the other RK900 androids. Nines is...talking? Gavin was sleepily surprised as he watched the pair continue to argue. The argument was easily dismissed as soon as Nines noticed he'd woken up. The nurse stumbled back with an indignant objection as Nines more or less walked straight through her, almost pushing her off her small feet.

"Hey..." Gavin didn't like the dry crack in his voice, or the way it came out as a quiet rumble. It seemed Nines didn't like that either as he poured out a plastic glass of water and held it to his lips. Gavin sipped slowly as he pushed himself up, wetting his dry throat before he slumped back down. "Causing trouble?" he asked almost teasingly, watching Nines' LED flicker between yellow and red. He reached out and gripped his dirtied leather sleeve. The nurse seemed hesitant as she circled the wall slowly, coming towards the bed.

I just wanted to be close to you. Nines looked vulnerable as he signed, but he relaxed somewhat as Gavin squeezed his arm. He understood Nines' vulnerability. If something happened to him, he'd be lost. Ownerless. He knew Nines would be safe. He'd have Hank and Connor to look after him, but it must be a horrible feeling to see your guardian getting shot. He could have kicked himself for letting that shit happen. He should have been more careful. Played it slower and been more cautious. He should have kept a better eye on the situation and clocked both guys before stirring them up.

It's alright, come and sit down. Gavin motioned to the empty chair at his bedside. Nines was obedient as he turned and sat, LED spinning blue before returning to yellow. "Sorry, new work partner," Gavin excused out loud as he shrugged towards Nines, instantly regretting it as pain shot through his shoulder. His hiss made Nines' LED spin red as he got to his feet and laid a hand on his neck. Gavin waved him off as he shifted his arm in the sling.

"Regardless, your partner still needs to follow the rules!" The nurse was young. Younger than him. Probably fresh out of med school. Gavin winced as she approached and started removing his bandages. He tried not to flinch away, not just from the pain, but from the discomfort of being touched by a stranger. Nines watched like a hawk, the intensity making the young nurse nervous as she worked.

"Nines is a little different...It'll probably be easier if you let him stay." Gavin hissed as deft fingers probed his wound. She clearly wasn't impressed, but having seen him toss two of her co-workers like garbage, she couldn't really argue. She wrapped fresh bandages and took a few readings from the machines before leaving. Gavin settled back uncomfortably, turning his head to look at Nines' stiff form. "When did you get your voice back?" Nines' silvery eyes nervously dropped to his lap at the question. That long?

"I have had the ability to speak since my second day at the DPD, however..." he paused hesitantly, glancing at Gavin's bewildered expression. "While installing the component, Connor mentioned you had been practicing sign language in order to communicate with me. I did not want that to go to waste...and during our first phone call you seemed uncomfortable...I know my voice sounds similar Connor's. I didn't want you to feel uneasy." He couldn't quite meet Gavin's eye as he waited for judgement. If anything, his admission just made Gavin feel bad. All this time, he'd been able to speak, but he'd been afraid of making him uncomfortable. The whole day I was blind he could have been talking! Each time I wasn't focused enough, he could have called me, but I made him feel self-conscious...God, I'm such a piece of shit!

"Sorry...Phck, I feel awful. Look, I know you share a lot of parts with Connor, but I don't want you to hide things about yourself because you think you'll upset me. If anyone has an issue with your model, that's their problem, not yours. Don't ever change for anyone else. You hear me, Toaster?" Nines' eyes widen as he processed the fact that he wasn't in trouble. He wasn't in trouble, and Gavin didn't want him to change. He felt something whirring in his chest at the realisation. Besides, we can keep this as our own secret code. Gavin's lips quirked as he signed. Since it was easily learned by anyone, it wasn't much of a secret, but it pleased Nines just the same.

"I have the ability to further alter my vocal pitch," Nines suggested hesitantly, looking to Gavin for a sign of approval. Gavin leaned back and settled against the pillows, ending up propped in a half sitting position. It wasn't the best resting pose for his spine, but he was comfortable, at least.

"Sure, you can do that if you want...I think your voice is pretty nice as it is though." Gavin tried not to smirk as Nines pretty much preened at the news. The more he listened to Nines talk, the less he could hear Connor at all. It was the same basic tone, but Nines spoke with a slightly deeper timbre. It was nice. Smooth. "You doing okay now?" Gavin barely remembered what happened in the yard. He remembered hearing Nines' static screech of pain, and wrestling with the owner's son, but aside from that, it was hazy.

"I am undamaged," Nines replied assuringly, head turned slightly towards Gavin. That was the only thing out of place. His posture was perfect. His hands rested neatly on his bent knees, his shoulders and back were straight, and he kept his chin up. It was rare for Gavin to feel completely at ease in hospitals, but with Nines beside him, he felt safe. He knew Nines could deal with most threats, even unarmed. "You should rest, Gavin." Nines' voice was soft and soothing as he encouraged him to rest.

"You staying here? I could give you the house keys so you can go home if you want," Gavin offered as he pressed the button to lower the bed. He didn't mind being propped up to talk, but if he was sleeping, he wanted the bed flat.

"I shall remain." Nines tugged the crisp sheet a little higher, ensuring he was completely covered. Gavin sighed in contentment as he closed his eyes. "Sleep well, Gavin." Nines turned his head to face the far wall, intending to go into stasis. Gavin shuffled lower beneath the sheets and turned down the light, blinking his eyes open to watch the steady yellow glow flickering to his right. Nines had started working on his waiting updates, LED circling slowly as he processed.

"Night, Nines." Gavin felt comforted by the dim yellow blinks as he closed his eyes.