Noticed and Understood

Reed barely had time to wrap his hand in a bandage before the next class started. He'd really gone to town on that punching bag, and he hadn't used any protection on his fists. For one thing, he hadn't had time to waste wrapping his hands, and for another, he'd just needed to whale on something as quickly as possible to get it out of his system. He could never just sit still and focus when it counted. It was frustrating. For him and anyone else depending on him. His teachers. His lecturers. Now he was making the DPD look bad to these guest speakers. He was making Connor look bad. He was making Fowler look bad. Tina was already waiting in their chosen spot when he returned. She gave him a tight-lipped frown of disapproval as she caught sight of the carelessly tied bandage. Red already dotted the surface in some places.

"Don't phcking say it," Reed grunted as he sat down, slightly annoyed that he'd fucked up his writing hand. He hadn't even thought of that. As usual. He sighed out a long breath as his heel started to bounce. People were filing in and the speaker soon arrived to set up. It was a male this time. The lack of an LED suggested he was human, but something about him struck Reed as odd. He couldn't say for sure, but he had the feeling he was an android with his LED removed. He was surprised as the man's eyes searched before falling on him with a piercing look. One that made him uncomfortable. It wasn't exactly a glare, but he was letting him know he'd been seen. He shifted his gaze to the door and watched Fowler enter, along with Connor. Connor slowly walked to the back of the room while Fowler settled in the doorway. It would definitely be a quiet class. Unfortunately, that made Reed's discomfort all the more obvious.

Reed fisted his hands in his lap, digging his fingernails into the torn knuckles of his injured hand. The burning pain was enough to keep him still for a while, but it didn't help him focus. His lack of focus made him nervous, especially as he felt Fowler's eyes upon him. Judging him. That was on top of the lecturer, who seemed to have singled him out. Reed crossed and uncrossed his legs, eventually opting to close his eyes once again. He figured it was better to at least be still and listening rather than constantly drawing attention to himself. He opened his eyes as Tina's foot tapped his shoe and lifted his head to find Fowler giving him a meaningful look. He pointed a finger at his ear. I am listening! He felt defensive, sighing as Fowler shook his head. Shit...

He remained sitting up for the rest of the lecture, restless as ever. The only difference was that at the end, he didn't get to head to the gym to take it out on a punching bag. The moment he was close enough, Fowler murmured to get to his office. Reed couldn't help the dull ache in his chest. It had always gotten to him. The way his teachers had always looked at him with some form of disdain. They'd never believed him when he'd said he found it easier to just sit with his eyes closed and listen. They'd always thought he was sleeping. They'd always snapped and told him to sit still. Stop fiddling. Pay attention. I'd phcking pay attention if you'd just let me work!

"I had hoped Miss Martin was exaggerating when she voiced her concerns to me earlier, but after watching for the past hour I-" Fowler began in a slightly grave but disappointed tone as they settled at his desk. Reed lowered his head and tightened his jaw, already knowing what was coming. He was definitely getting a disciplinary, at the very least. He'd be lucky if he didn't get fired. Fowler cut off as an urgent knock sounded and Connor barged in. He didn't even wait to be invited. "Connor, this better be damned good. You know I'm in a meeting," he added impatiently as he gestured to Reed.

"I'm aware. That's actually what I need to talk to you about...It's important," Connor insisted as his LED span yellow, his expression firm. Fowler dismissed Reed, but told him not to go too far. Reed stomped to his desk and threw himself down, kicking the metal frame in frustration. Across the pen, Hank looked up from his terminal and swivelled to face Reed with an almost concerned frown. Reed huffed out a sigh as he leaned forward on his elbows. His throat tightened and his eyes burned. It wasn't fair. He was doing everything right. He was going to the classes. He was trying his damned best. In the office, he could see the lecturer and Connor arguing as Fowler watched. What's gotten into them? It was rare to see Connor so passionate. It looked like he was even raising his voice. It didn't take long. Moments later, Connor was walking smartly across to his desk. "Come with me, Detective," he ordered softly as he motioned Reed to stand. Reed didn't bother to question it for now as he followed him into an empty interrogation room. He sat on the suspect's side of the table while Connor stood across from him.