Flesh and a Heartbeat

Reed sighed as he finally opened the front door, running a welcoming hand through Lynx's fur as he left it open for Nines. Dealing with families was always rough. Some had reacted with disbelief, some had been crushed, and others had been hostile. Everyone dealt with it differently. They'd all had one thing in common though. That fucking radio show. He couldn't stand the accusing looks he'd gotten. The probing questions. Why did it take so long to identify the body? I don't want to go into detail, but all the victims have been difficult to identify. Not even a serial number? I'm afraid we can only get information as fast as our forensic experts can find it. Why haven't you made any arrests yet? I'm afraid we have very little information to go on besides what you can provide us with at this time. You want me to do your job for you? If we can trace your husband's last movements, we may be able to find a link to the other victims. Be honest, you're just going to wait until the news dies down, then drop it, right? Not at all. I fully intend to complete this investigation. I've heard about officers like you, android hater. I'm sorry, but as you can see, my partner is an android. I really am taking this seriously.

Would you like me to make dinner, Detective? Nines asked as he stepped in front of him with a worried and sympathetic air. Reed shrugged out of his white hoodie and tossed it somewhere. Probably on the floor. He didn't look. He rubbed his hands over his face with a worn sigh. He felt like total shit. It felt like he hadn't done enough. Like it was never enough. He looked up as Nines waved in front of his face and repeated the question with smooth hand movements.

"I'm just tired...I'll take a shower and turn in," he decided with a stretch, pausing as he walked straight into a firm chest. A firm chest that didn't really carry a scent. It wasn't surprising really. Androids didn't sweat, and they were synthetic. They carried the scent of the places they spent the most time. Right now, Nines smelled like him, having been in his car and now his house. There was an underlying smoky undertone where he'd smoked a cigarette next to him a few hours ago. Shit, he should be more considerate with that. Nines probably didn't want the smell of stale smoke clinging to his uniform.

You haven't eaten since this morning. Nines gave a concerned twitch of his brow. Reed paused as he realised he was right. After clocking in, they'd spent pretty much the whole day travelling around interviewing the friends and families. He just hadn't had time to stop and eat. Still, it wasn't the end of the world. He'd gone a lot longer without food before, and he really wasn't that hungry. He was even feeling a little nauseous. He sighed as he rested a hand on Nines' upper arm, intending to ease him out of the way.

"I'll survive." He was surprised that he couldn't move him. He pushed a little harder, but Nines didn't want to be moved. He was like a statue. Not even his arm moved as he pushed it. "Will you move?" He sighed in annoyance, watching Nines' brow pinch. Technically, it hadn't been an order, so he'd managed to avoid obeying the request. Reed almost rolled his eyes. The one time it would actually help for him to take it as an order...

Please let me cook something, even something small. Nines' sharp eyes softened with worry. Reed sighed, suddenly realising how close they were standing. They were barely a foot apart. Nines' freckles were the same as Connor's, and he had the same dimple in his right cheek. Even his imperfections are perfect. He knew he'd look even more attractive if he smiled. He'd have a nice smile. He was sure of it. Way cuter than Connor's.

"Fine, do what you want," Reed sighed finally, stepping aside and waving to the kitchen. Nines gave him the smallest of smiles as he headed to the kitchen. "I'm still taking a shower." Reed dragged himself upstairs to his room. He didn't catch the response. A heavy feeling had settled in his chest, dragging down to the pit of his stomach. Maybe it was the weight of responsibility. Phck, I haven't felt it this bad in years. This was the first big case linked to android homicides. They got regular singular cases, but he had six bodies now. Six! There were families demanding answers. Families that didn't trust him to get those answers. The problem was, he couldn't blame them. I was an android hater. Half a year ago I would have tossed this case in the trash.