An Act of Kindness

Reed had expected this meeting to happen, but that didn't mean he had to like it. He hated meetings at the best of times. They had them once a month and he could never settle in his seat properly. It felt like literally everyone was there in the bullpen. Crowding into his personal space. Crammed in like sardines. They were sitting at, or leaning on, desks. Standing around in groups. Hovering in the aisles. Mingling. The air was filled with the scent of coffee, doughnuts, burgers, bacon, and a few other meaty sandwich fillings. Then there was the noise. It pressed in on all sides. Voices talking over each other. A constant hum. A hive of activity. It buzzed like white noise. Reed ground his teeth slowly, his jaw tightening. His leg was already bouncing beneath his desk as he spent the final few minutes looking over some emails before the meeting started properly. Phck, why does everyone have to be here at once?

"Cheerful as ever I see," Tina greeted quietly as she slinked into his section and leaned on the back of his chair. Reed relaxed a little as he looked up at her. If there was one person he didn't mind being in his space, it was Tina. She just got it. Got him. She'd always somehow known, he moment he'd started working with her. Any time there was a class or meeting, she helped him out. Whether it was taking notes, making recordings, giving him a kick, or giving him something else to focus on. She'd saved him on more than one occasion.

"You know I phcking hate these things," Reed grumbled as he hunched over his desk to read a witness statement he'd been sent for one of his cases. Everything seemed in order, but he'd be sure to read it again after the meeting when he wasn't so agitated. It was easy for him to miss important things when he was so distracted by everything else. He was already finding it hard to keep his eyes on the bright screen while he could see movement all around him. He closed his eyes with an almost pained sigh as he tried to block out the noise. Why do they have to be so phcking loud?

"I know, I feel you," Tina agreed sympathetically as she dropped off a coffee for him. He smiled softly in thanks. That was another thing she often did at meetings. She knew Reed would be so distracted and stressed by the meeting that he'd forget to grab a coffee first. If he didn't have a coffee, he'd have nothing to fiddle with. If he had nothing to fiddle with, he wouldn't sit still. If he didn't sit still, then people like Fowler noticed. Usually, that resulted in some form of small reprimand or sign of reproach. He ran a stressed hand through his hair. It was like he couldn't do anything right sometimes.

"Alright! Is everyone here?" Fowler's voice called out for attention near his office. Reed got to his feet, feeling the captain's eyes drift over him and acknowledge his presence. Obviously, not every officer was there, but everyone on duty was ready and waiting. "Let's get started then...As you all know, we've had specialists working for the past few weeks to put together some new training modules. The training will be based around android integration, social etiquette, sensitivity, and even a few basic maintenance and first aid procedures for any android victims and colleagues. On that note, we've also chosen an Android Relations Representative, someone familiar to both humans and androids alike. Connor." Fowler waved an arm and motioned for Connor to step forward and speak. Connor gave his usual warm smile as he stepped forward and took up a place beside Fowler, hands clasped neatly behind his back.

"Good morning. I've spent a lot of time finding the best experts to help with this training, and I really hope you get something out of these new courses. Attendance is mandatory for select staff members and encouraged for all. You will receive email verifications shortly, along with the times and dates of each class. I'm pleased to be your representative, and please, feel free to come to me with any issues or discomforts you have. Human or android, I'll make myself available to you," he added for clarification, always using that warm, approachable tone. He was a good talker, but that was hardly surprising. The RK800 series had been designed to socially integrate with humans. Not to mention their advanced interrogation and negotiation skills. Reed had seen him in action more than once. He was annoyingly efficient. Reed sipped his coffee, trying not to shuffle from foot to foot as he stood at his desk. He was getting agitated. He looked away as he felt Connor's eyes find him in the crowd. He focused on the heat of the cup in his hand instead of the clicking of pens, rustling of papers, and tapping of feet on the muffled carpet.