she pulled out a chair and sat down, completely ignoring him. he cleared his throat and slowly sat back down. she made herself comfortable giving the two a nonchalant look. her father timidly placed a mug of coffee in front of her. she eyed it and looked back up at him.

"coffee?" he smiled.

"i don't drink hot coffee." she stated pushing the mug back towards him.

her parents looked at each other and then back to their mugs. the tension in the air was thick they were pretty sure everyone in the cafe could sense it. donica huffed realizing she would have to carry the conversation on her own.

"was i called here to watch you two have a staring contest with your mugs?"

"right..." her andrea started, "donica we want to rebuild our relationship with you and hopefully become a happy family again."

"relationship? family? happy?" donica couldn't help but let out a laugh, "when the hell did we ever have that?"

"doni listen-" marcus started but got cut off.

"it's donica. we're not familiar enough for you to start calling me by my nickname." she corrected

"donica... i ended up getting married and you have other siblings that'll love have a relationship with you."

"same here, i think you should be around your little sister." andrea added.

"wait a damn minute, are you two here because you actually want a relationship with me or is it because the new family that you abandoned me for finally found out about my existence and is pushing you to?" she questioned.

"nobody abandoned you donica." andrea huffed pinching the bridge of her nose. by that donica knew her suspicions were correct.

"is that how you remember it? because i distinctly remember you kicking me out of house almost every week or so since i was six. don't you remember those cold nights of me banging on the door to let me in, or were you too busy getting drunk and fucking the next dude who you told i was your little sister to remember?"

andrea gasped and slammed her hands on the table, "enough!"

"or you," she turned towards her father, "i actually took comfort in you. i always knew you didn't want me but shit you were there. the night you left, did you ever think about me? we're you just that eager to leave your mistakes behind and start off new? i hope you're wife and kids aren't so much of a mistake or nuisance as i was to you."

"donica that is enough! you're twenty three years old stop acting like a child!"

donica huffed a laugh and sat back in her chair, "twenty-six ma. i'm twenty-six."

andrea and marcus fell silent. andrea stared at donica with wide eyes realizing her mistake. donica abruptly got up and grabbed her purse. "donica please- we're sorry-" marcus started but donica raised her hand to stop him from whatever b.s was about to start spewing from his mouth.

"i would like it if you two would forget about me. though i know that won't be that hard," she laughed lowly, "go back to your families and i'll go back to mine. i could say i hate you, but that'll cause me to constantly think about you and that's too much wear and tear on my energy levels. so i'll just say i don't care for the either of you. enjoy your coffee."

donica walked out of the cafe with her head down. she heard her "parents" calling out for her but her feet moved quick. when she was out the door she collided with someone's chest. her nose stung a tad and she instantly looked up to apologize. her eyes met cardens sympathetic ones, he was going to walk in seeing everything from the cafe window. after seeing him the tears she'd been trying so hard to contain began to flood her water line making her vision blur.