Breakfast

Anxiety sucks ass.

I have like suuuppeer bad anxiety, especially when it comes to speaking.

It doesn't matter if it's reciting something, reading something, giving my opinions, it doesn't matter. All of it gives me anxiety.

I fucking hate it.
_____________________________________________

Kai's view of his family was quickly cut off by a face full of deep black hair.

He quickly determined it was Nya after she wrapped him in bear hug and lifted him off the ground, something his mother, his only other family member with black hair, could never ever do.

Once Nya put him down she pulled back and grabbed his face and started inspecting him. Presumably checking for injuries.

Once she was satisfied she pulled him back into a much looser hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay. We were all so worried about you last night." She said softly, voice laced with both concern and relief.

Kai felt guilt shoot through him at his little sister's worried face.

"I'm really sorry I ran off like that. I was just overwhelmed is all." Kai said wrapping his arms around his younger sister.

Nya didn't say anything. She just stuck her face into his hair and inhaled.

It gave Kai a mix of emotions knowing she was using his scent for comfort.

Eventually Nya pulled back and sat down again.

Her place was quickly taken by both of their parents.

"We're glad you're okay, Kai. We know you were hoping he wouldn't have to go through what you went through." Maya whispered.

"We promise he won't have to go through all that. Since we have both you and your sister he has a lot longer to find someone, and he might not have to find someone at all." His father whispered comfortingly when his mom went quiet again.

Finally Kai was free from the hugging and sat down in his spot across from Lloyd.

Lloyd smiled at him and Kai smiled back.

"Are you alright?" Lloyd questioned softly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright." Kai replied nodding.

"Good. Mamma said you ran off last night when I presented and I got worried too."

Kai smiled.

Lloyd was such a sweet kid.

"Don't worry. I'm all good now."

Lloyd smiled and went back to eating.

There was a few minutes of silence before Maya started speaking.

"So, will Cole be joining us this morning?"

"Yes. He's just kind of tired after staying up so late with me last night. He should be joining us any moment now."

As if summoned, right that minute the doors were pushed open and in walked Cole. Though he still looked kind of out of it, he looked much more awake than he did before.

He sat down in the chair next to Kai.

"Hi, Mister!" Lloyd greeted happily. Since somehow he still doesn't know Cole's name. Either that, or he does and just doesn't use it.

"Hello." Cole greets back sleepily.

And then they went on with breakfast mostly silently with a few instances of chatter.

Or maybe there was more chatter and Kai just couldn't hear it over his own thoughts about his newly realized feelings for his fiance.

That is, until he heard his mother call his name.

"Kai?" She called.

Kai turned his head to his mother.

"Yeah, Mom?"

"I wanted to ask if you and Cole had any plans for today?" Maya questioned.

Kai looked over at Cole who shrugged in return.

Kai looked back to his mom.

"Doesn't seem like we do. Why?"

Maya smiled.

"Good. Because Lloyd has a playdate planned for today and I was wondering if you two would be willing to keep an eye on him and his friend?"

Kai raised an eyebrow.

"Keep an eye on him? How so?"

"Just make sure they don't get into trouble. If they want to go into town accompany them. Make sure nothing bad happens. They are only twelve." Maya explained.

Kai looked to Cole again.

"I mean, I wouldn't mind. I like spending time with kids." Cole said softly.

Kai thought for a moment before asking another question.

"Which friend is it?"

Because Kai knew that some of Lloyd's friends were absolute terror to deal with.

"The son of the duke from Darklys Kingdom." Maya replied.

"Oh, him. Okay. He's a sweet kid. Alright. We'll watch them." Kai said, finally agreeing.

"Thank you darling. Lloyd's guard is currently quite ill so he is unable to watch Lloyd. And I figured it would be good for you to get some quality time with your little brother after being away for so long."

She paused.

"And it would probably be good for Cole to get at least somewhat aquatinted with your siblings."

Kai nodded in understanding.

"Yeah, it's fine. Don't worry. We'll watch them today. It's been I while since I've seen the kid anyways. I'd be happy to watch him and Lloyd."

"Thank you."

And that was the end of that conversation.

However a few minutes later Cole leaned closer to Kai.

"Darklys Kingdom? I've never heard of that place." He whispered.

Kai sighed quietly.

"Yeah, I'd believe that. It's a pretty small kingdom in the mountains not too far from here. Nothing about it is super impressive so it's not talked about much. But it's got a pretty good focus on education so we went there a while back to find a tutor for Lloyd and while we were there Lloyd became friends with the dukes son."

Kai paused to take a few breaths before continuing.

"Anyways, they visit each other a lot. Lloyd made a few other friends there, but he says the dukes son is his best friend. Which I'd believe seeing as they definitely hang out the most, and Lloyd never hangs out with the others without him." Kai finished.

"Huh. Okay. You said he's a sweet kid?"

Kai chuckled.

"Yeah. He tries to pretend he isn't around most other kids since people from the Darklys Kingdom aren't really know for their kindness, but he's really just a big sweetheart." Kai said with a small smile.

"Well, I'm excited to meet him." Cole said with a slightly less small smile.

"I'm sure you'll like him."

And then they went back to eating their breakfast.

Shortly after the maids began to clean up the table a guard entered the room.

"Your Majesties. The Duke of Darklys and his son have arrived."

_____________________________________________

That's right y'all! I'm introducing yet another character!

Can you guess who? I feel like I made it easier this time.

This was also kind of difficult to write because I had my two-year old nephew being cute and distracting the whole time.

But hopefully this was still enjoyable.