Meeting The Family

The number of Ninjago drafts I have is increasing day by day. I think I have like twenty something now.

Also I actually drew a cover for one of the drafts myself. My AO3 readers won't be able to see it as the cover, but when I do post it I can attach the image or something.

_____________________________________________

When the Smith parents finally released Kai from their embrace and stepped away, they were immediately replaced by Nya, once again hugging Kai. But gentler this time.

"I missed you so much, Kai." She said softly.

"Yeah, I missed you too." Kai said, this time wrapping his arms around Nya as well.

Nya let him go and stepped away.

And finally, the rest of the Smith family noticed Cole standing awkwardly a few feet behind Kai.

"Oh, Kai. That's the man you're marrying, right?" Maya said gesturing in Cole's direction.

Kai turned his head to look at Cole for a moment before grabbing Cole's hand and pulling him forward.

"Yeah he is!" Kai started excitedly. "I know you technically already know him from when we met, but this is my fiancee, Cole!"

Cole waved nervously and smiled.

"Hello, Cole. It's wonderful to meet you." Maya said with a light curtsy.

"Hello, Mrs. Smith." Cole said shyly. "It's nice to meet you too."

Maya laughed.

"Oh please. Just call me Maya. You're practically already family."

Cole just nodded.

Ray walked closer to Cole and looked up at him for a bit.

Then he looked down at his son and asked.

"Did you have to pick someone so tall? It makes him really hard to intimidate."

Kai put his hand to his head.

"Daaaadd! I don't want you to intimidate him!"

Ray put his hands up in a placating way.

"Listen, son. I'm just doing my fatherly duties."

Kai rolled his eyes.

Ray sighed in a way that made it almost sound like a laugh.

He turned back to Cole and looked up at him.

"It's nice to meet you. I trust you've been treating my son well?"

"Of course, sir! I'd never do anything that could harm him." Cole said earnestly.

Ray nodded once.

"Good. And just call me Ray. Like my wife said, you might as well already be family."

"Of course. Thank you."

The two oldest Smiths took a step back and Maya turned to look behind her.

"Nya, come and meet your brother's fiance."

Nya came towards Cole and did a half bow half curtsy.

Cole bowed in return.

Suddenly, Nya got on her tip toes and grabbed Cole's face. She pulled it down towards her.

She looked into his eyes for a few moments before she nodded, seemingly satisfied, and let him go.

"My apologies. I merely wanted to check wether or not your eyes held any I'll intention." She explained once she had pulled away.

"My brother has had some close calls with bad alphas in the past. I wanted to make sure you were truly good, is all."

Cole laughed.

"I completely understand. I'm sure I'd do something similar if I had siblings."

Nya turned quickly toward Kai.

"He makes you happy, right?" She asked suddenly.

Kai was caught off guard by the question.

"Yeah, of course." He answered assuredly.

But inside was a bit of a different story.

Something about the question sparked something odd in him.

Like yeah, Cole made him happy. But when he really thought about it, it was a different kind of happiness.

A... Fonder happiness? No, that didn't sound quite right.

Regardless of Kai's inner turmoil, Nya seemed pleased with his answer.

"Good. You deserve it." Nya said smiling.

Kai smiled back.

"Well. I'm sure you two are tired from your journey here. Especially Kai. So how about you go to Kai's room. We'll send lunch up, and then we'll call you for dinner." Maya suggested but didn't really because there really was no room for argument.

(A/n quick thing, I actually headcanon that canonverse Kai has insomnia as a sort of side effect of his childhood trauma. And I just decided to keep it here. Which is why he's constantly tired.)

"That sounds good." Kai said after getting a quick nod from Cole.

"Wonderful. I'll see you at dinner then." Maya said with a smile.

They all started walking towards the castle.

Kai walked up to Nya.

"Hey Nya? Could you help me find some things? I thin-" But he was cut off by Lloyd, who ran into his legs and started excitedly chattering on about things that had happened while Kai was gone.

Kai shot Nya a look that said "I'll talk to you later" and Nya nodded in acknowledgment.

Kai fell back a little to stand next to Cole with Lloyd still chattering happily.

Yeah. It was good to be home.

_____________________________________________

This is probably my shortest chapter yet.

But honestly, I really needed a a way to transition into the next chapter.

So really... It's just more filler.

But I swear. I'll make up for it. Either next chapter or the chapter after that. Things will start getting good...