42 | Rain

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

FLASHBACK

"How many times do I need to tell you to tuck your shirt in and straighten your tie, Shahzaib?" Mr Taylor narrowed his eyes at the lanky kid from behind his glasses. 

Shahzaib simply grinned, but he tucked his shirt in anyway.

"Dude, why don't you just do it in the first place?" Saim asked him after the Head of Year had walked away. "Why do you always have to be told to do so?" 

"Because following rules is overrated, bro. I don't do something unless I have to."

"Wearing your proper uniform is something that you have to do, bro." Saim reminded him.

"Yeah, well it's much more fun to see a teacher pop a vein over it, especially Taylor Swift there." Shahzaib nodded his head in the direction of the Head of Year.

"Last time he wrote a note in my diary and Mama gave me a lecture about how school uniform teaches us about the importance of dressing well in our professional lives." Saim told him as they went to the centre of the playground to play football with some other boys.

"What if I choose to be a footballer? I ain't gonna need a tie for it unless attending events."

Saim chuckled and started playing the game.

Meanwhile, across the playground, on a low-level wall sat Anabia and Hareem. Anabia was trying to revise for a Science test after the break...something she should have done at home, but had procrastinated. 

Hareem, meanwhile, was bored. "Stop studying. It's called a 'break' for a reason. It means a break from education, albeit temporary." 

"This test is important." Anabia muttered.

"Should have..."

"Don't say that I should have studied at home. I know. And I am already beating myself up with mental juttiyan." Anabia sighed.

*Juttiyan: shoes.

"Why didn't you study?"

"Well, after school yesterday, I fell asleep. Then when I woke up, I hate tea and Mama had made home made chicken patties. We ate them while watching an exciting episode of the drama she watches. Once we were done, I had to help her prepare dinner. Then I watched TV again. Then I had dinner, read a book before bed and then I slept. When was I supposed to study?" 

Hareem cleared her throat. "We knew about this test since two weeks."

"You are not here to judge." Anabia narrowed her eyes at her. "Come on, test me."

"Are you sure...because I'll feel embarrassed if you fail my test..." 

"Harry, just question me!" 

"Okay. Chill." Hareem shook her head. "Okay..." Her eyes skimmed the book. "Which nutrient is used to repair and build muscles?" 

Anabia's eyes widened as she realised that she didn't know the answer.

"Next question...our bones need calcium, which is a...?" 

"Mineral?" Anabia guessed.

"Guesses are not always gonna work, Ana. You really should have studied, man."