24 | Loyalty

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

WARNING: This chapter contains 'Written In The Stars' spoilers! 

FLASHBACK

Hareem

It was not long after the time when all hell broke lose on our family, and we found the reality of our father.

It was a rainy morning, and I was in the library during lunch, resting my head on the table as tears escaped my eyes despite my attempts to stop them.

A loud bang on the table made me look up, discreetly wiping my eyes. Anabia stood in front of me, having just slammed her school backpack down onto the table, frowning. "What the fish, Hareem? I was waiting for you in the Maths department." Her frown deepened as she saw my expressions. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing in this world matters anymore." I muttered, standing up and grabbing my books.

"If you ever repeat that, I will expose all the stories written by Reem_DarkAngel05 on Wattpad to Gul Aunty." She warned me, sternly.

"My Mamma's whole world is broken apart. I'm sure she'll give zero sh**s about some stupid romance stories written by me." I whispered, wrapping my index finger around the tip of my pony.

She grabbed my arm and led me to the quietest corner of the library. "What do you mean?" 

I explained about how my father had suddenly revealed that he had remarried without the knowledge of my mother. I told Anabia how unbothered he was about the fact that he had basically destroyed Mamma, crushing all our trusts, and had tried to tear our family apart. "He's our father, Ana. And it seems like he is trying to blame me and my siblings for the reason he decided to find a new wife." 

"I don't know what to say, except I know how it feels to watch your parents' marriage break apart. Saim and I don't know the exact reason, but we suspect that Papa did the same, so I understand, Harry."

"Is loyalty that rare these days?" I shook my head. "Your father, my father..."

"Loyalty is like a diamond: beautiful, precious, but not everything can afford it." She sighed. "Whereas, to others, its like a tiny diamond amongst a fortune- not valued at all."

"My mother gave him decades...six kids. And he discarded her completely." 

"It's easy for some pricks to disregard their responsible, and start over from scratch, as if it's a video game. But, for our mothers, they are left behind with the responsibilities and worries of their kids. They can't walk away, even if they wanted to." 

"I'll never put myself in Mamma's situations. But it makes me so furious! Why did he impregnate her six times when he couldn't handle the responsibility?"  

Anabia set her bag down on a nearby table and zipped open the smaller outer zip and pulled out a bag of Skittles. "Here. You need them more them me."

I glanced at the red bag that contained the colourful fruit-flavoured sweets. "What, so I can have some colour back in my life?" I gave her a weak smile.

"Sure, if that helps you, why not?"

I immediately opened the bag and offered it to her. When she refused, I popped a few Skittles into my mouth, as the crispy outer shells gave way to a mixture strawberry, lime and orange. I looked for the purple one, the blackcurrant, to have the full taste of these delicious chewy sweets. "Anabia, what would I do without you? You always know how to make me feel better, even if it just one percent."