31 | Minds & Hearts

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Anabia

FLASHBACK

"Ugh. He's so overrated." Hareem made a face at the magazine page and tossed it aside.

"Half of the girls in our class are swooning over him." I picked up a couple more M&Ms from the bowl in front of me and tossed them into my mouth.

"I don't even know why. When I see him, I think 'Eww'. Who displays so much armpit hair all the time and expect women to drool over it?" Hareem made a disgusted face.

I giggled hard. 

"I prefer a guy with a leather jacket." Hareem said, dreamily.

We were fourteen, and it was before her Faiz Bhai had gotten married, so her whole family lived together. Only Rida Appi was married off. We were sitting on the soft carpeted floor of Hareem's room, leaning on the large floor cushions, eating snacks and gossiping.

"I had a bit of a thing for Faiz Bhai's best friend Hamza Bhai. He always wore leather jackets when he rode his bike..." Hareem sighed. "But I heard he got married..."

"Tragic." 

"Isn't it?" She shrugged. "Well, I have plenty of time anyway. I am currently in line behind one brother and three sisters, with Rida Appi already married off."  She opened the jar of Pringles and offered it to me.

"I don't like Pringles anymore." I looked at her. "Ooh! I forgot to tell you. I saw him at the library again. He smiled at me...again." My cheeks warmed up.

"Why don't you go ahead and ask his name!" Hareem looked frustrated.

"No!" I shook my head. "I don't want to. I just find it weird how he always smiles at me." 

Lately, a boy our age had started helping out at the school library during break times. Each time I went to borrow a book and have it scanned at the desk, I find him there. He always gave me a smile, while I stood there awkwardly, waiting for my book(s).

"He's cute." 

"No, he's not." I muttered. 

"He clearly has a thing for you." 

"I clearly don't have a thing for him. Stop it. Change the topic." I glanced away.

"You started it."

"Well, I am finishing it off now."

"Ah, unrequited love. The poor bechara." She said, dramatically.

"Poor, in this sense, and bechara mean the same thing. No need to say the words together." 

"You'll break his heart. He'd probably write poetry about you." 

I laughed. "We are not in a rom-com."

"I think all brilliant poets suffer heartbreak. They write from the heart, and anything done from the heart is magnificent." She giggled. "Maybe years in the future, GCSE students will be reading his poem in the anthology book that we study for GCSE English. 'The Ana Who Broke the Heart'."

I rolled my eyes. "Do you really think heartbreak is as dramatic in real life?"

"I don't know. All I know is that the real heartbreak for me is if junk food becomes illegal in the UK." She said.