17 | Closer Together

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Happy Birthday shivika0219! Wishing you a wonderful day! 🎂🥳🎊🎉

*

Third Person POV

"I always felt that the age gap was a problem, but..." Khadija took a deep breath, glancing down at her hands. "I guess I looked deeper into things. I started thinking that it could be a potentially large reason that could cause problems in the marriage and then..."

Emaad was listening without judgment. "And then...?"

"And then he would cheat on her." She looked at him again. "I knew the feeling of being cheated on. I know the pain, and when I think that Anabia might face that pain, it's like someone has slashed at my heart with a sharp dagger."

"Do you have a reason to be afraid? I mean, apart from the age gap?" He asked. "Is there something about your son-in-law himself that causes mistrust within you? Again, I'm just asking you, I'm not taking sides."

"Honestly? No. I find no reason not to trust him. And Ma Sha Allah, Anabia seems happy with him." 

"But the fear won't let you be in peace?" 

"It won't."

"Unfortunately, fear is one of the natural consequences of a bad experience." Emaad sat up straight. "I understand that your fear is making you very protective of your daughter. But for a few moments, just set that fear aside, and see how it's impacting Anabia. How is your fear impacting Anabia? Would you be able to honestly answer that question?"

Khadija closed her eyes and saw her daughter's devastated face. The tears in those normally cheerful eyes. The misery surrounding her, almost like a black cloud over her head. Anabia had been in a lot of pain, only because of Khadija's fear. "It broke her."

"When we let ourselves be guided by our fear, we feel like we are choosing the safer option, the easier option. But we must ask ourselves, is it really the better option? Is our fear worth the consequences on those who love us?" 

Khadija sat still, absorbing his words. Is my fear worth breaking Anabia's heart? After everything that Zohaib has done to her, does she really need more pain from my side as well?

*

Anabia

Rehan started his new job as a senior editor and got busier.

I resumed work full-time as well, and because I worked different shifts, we hardly saw each other. Sometimes I left early in the morning, and Rehan was asleep then. Sometimes he returned late at night, when I was already asleep, worn out from shift work.

23:57.

I watched the time with blurry eyes. It was almost midnight, and I was still here. Fortunately for me, so was Saim. The aircraft had gone tech (a.k.a. technical issues) and none of us were going anywhere...including the poor passengers who had boarded almost two hours ago.