7 - Down In The Valley

They all slithered and slipped in the dusk down the steep zig-zag path into the secret valley of Rivendell. The air grew warmer as they got lower, and the smell of the pine trees made them drowsy. Their spirits rose as they went down and down. The trees changed to beech and oak, and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream.

Rurín swallowed thickly. "Oh, Mahal... Here we go..." She groaned when she saw the first elves of the valley peeking out of their hidey tree branches.

"What?" Bilba asked.

Just then there came a burst of a song-like laughter in the trees...

"No... No..." Dwalín muttered in annoyance.

Just like last time a ridiculous song was made up on the spot.

"O! What are you doing, And where are you going?
The river is flowing! O! tra-la-la- lally here down in the valley!

O! What are you seeking, And where are you making?
The faggots are reeking, The bannocks are baking! O! tril-lil-lil- lolly the valley is jolly, ha! ha!

O! Where are you going With beards all a-wagging? No knowing, no knowing What brings A Hobbit Lass And Balín and Dwalín down into the valley in June ha! ha!"

Rurín took a deep breath and began singing:

"O! Mind your business, you nosey ellons and perky elloths!
Maybe I want to visit my Ada and you can kiss the trolls past the Valley!
Ha! Ha!"

The Elves laughed, while the dwarves scoffed, rolling their eyes. One of the she-elves pranced and twirled into the pathway, with three flower crowns that she bestowed on Orí and Bilba's heads before bowing lightly to Rurín and placing the white lily flowers upon her wild mane.

"O! Lady Rurín had returned to the Valley! To see Lord Elrond and maybe a bit of healing!
Tra-la la la!"

And she leaped away into a bush. Rurín pursed her lips and nodded her head. "I almost forgotten how weird the elves are this way were."

Thorín snorted, quirking a brow at her. "Move on!" He called.

A tall young elf came out from the trees and bowed to the company, his eyes lighting up a little when he spotted Rurín in Thorín's arms. "Lady Rurín, it is so good to see you again!"

"Mae govannen, Leif." Rurín smiled at him though it was a bit more of a grimace.

"You are a little out of your way," He informed them. "That is if you are making for the only path across the water and to the house beyond."

"We are indeed," Rurín spoke before Gandalf could. "I am injured as you can see. Are Lord Elladan and Elrohir home?"

"They are out on patrol at the moment, my lady."

"Thank you, Leif," She inclined her head to him and he smiled brightly at her beckoning them on across the bridge and into the main house.

On they all went to a good path to the very brink of the river. It was flowing fast and noisily, as mountain streams do on a summer evening when the sun has been all day on the snow far up above. There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one.