Thirty-Four

~ ~ Logan ~ ~

~ ~ Logan ~ ~

Clipper, a grey and white stallion, twitched his powerful back muscles between my thighs as we moseyed up the dusty trail.

What was I doing out riding at this late hour?

We still were having trouble with vandals and though I had a pretty good idea of who it might be, I had no proof... yet. So, Hank, Jackson and I had agreed with the rest of the men to keep a closer eye on things. Taking shifts on riding out, checking things over. However, tonight it seemed quiet, and I'd left two of our newest cowboys on the Ranch, EJ and Mackay to do the final rounds of the night.

It was hot tonight and I adjusted my hat a few times whilst listening to the chirps of insects on the dry night breeze. And whilst I was alone, it had me thinking about what was next for us all.

Not that I was worried or anything. Hell, in fact the last month had been pretty much smooth sailing. Jackson was getting stronger and no longer a moody bastard, not that I held that against him after what he went through.

Maddy was in our bed every night and tonight I hoped was gonna be the first night we made love to her together. Not at the same time, no. She wasn't ready for that yet, but being in the same room, taking turns. And just the picture of Maddy riding Jackson sent pulses of hunger throbbing below my belt.

Yeah, we'd been sharing a bed and I wouldn't deny there'd been a hell-of-a-lot of foreplay going on, but actual sex?  No. We'd stuck to each spending time alone with her. It hadn't been my choice. It was more to do with Jackson and his crazy ideas that he wasn't enough or quite whole yet. Not that I had a damn clue what that meant when he had tried to explain it to me. I just nodded and agreed.

So, when he'd suggested tonight we share, it was a huge step in the right direction.

Though would it matter if we didn't ever get to the point where Maddy could actually take us both at the same time?

No, not in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I might have been an ass man in every sense of the word, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Maddy was ours in every way that counted and that wasn't gonna change none. Neither me nor Jackson would walk away from her.  A smile pulled at my mouth as our future manifested itself inside my head. I wanted to see our ring on her finger, her belly swollen with our child.

The logistics of it mattered none.

And, yeah, my mind had been on kids a lot. I guess spending time with Riley Jo's little one had woken up some need in me that I hadn't even known was there and it didn't matter if the kids were mine or Jackson's. I would love them no matter what.

I was eager to get started. Just had to get that asshole ex of hers out of the picture completely and although he'd been quiet, there was a niggly feeling in the back of my mind that something was brewing.