Nine

~ ~ Maddy ~ ~

~ ~ Maddy ~ ~

"Greeeaat."  

I muttered under my breath, sitting on the floor, still wrapped in my towel with my mouth hanging open, rummaging through the clothes that Riley Jo had brought over yesterday, although I had to use the word clothes loosely.

She'd dropped off two suitcases.  The smaller one being an Aladdin's cave of stuff, like a hairdryer, some makeup and beauty essentials and array of pumps as our shoe size was the only physical likeness we shared.  

The other case was a mobile lingerie shop with a few pairs of shorts that barely covered my ass and tank-tops and vests that clung to me like a second skin.

What the hell had she been thinking?  

Holding up one lacy number. It was a stretch lace all in one teddy in red, with the labels still attached.

I dropped it to one side and picked up another. A baby-doll in white satin.

Taking a deep breath, sure my cheeks were crimson. I pinked up another three. Sure, they were all beautiful. But you needed a figure like Riley Jo's to carry them off.

My eyes spotted some packaging. I sighed. Thankfully, she'd thrown in some new girl's briefs. I guess that was something. I just lacked bra's which none of Riley-Jo would have fitted me, anyway.

Moving the rest of underwear to one side, a smile lifted when I spotted a pair of shorts that I could be seen out in public in and t-shirt and a one thin cardigan that would cover my arms.

I breathed a sigh of relief. At least that was something. I'd hated Jackson's reaction when he'd seen my bruises and I didn't want other people to see them or pity me.

Quickly dressing, I walked back into the small bathroom to brush my teeth and fix my hair.

Ugh. I rolled my eyes as my reflection spelled out how different I looked. How could I visit Nana Em in the hospital looking like this?

I picked up my phone and fired off a quick message to my sister.

You couldn't find one dress in that huge walk-in wardrobe of yours? 🤷🏼‍♀️

It took all of ten seconds for her to fire one back.

Oops 😘 it read. I could almost hear her giggling. Another came through just as quick. 

Beggars can't be choosers... and I'm sure the twins can't help you choose! 😜

Oh, she was loving this.

But she wasn't wrong about beggars. I had little choice with my current financial situation. So that ruled out shopping. And there was no way I was going back to Cooper's.

Brushing my hair with one of my sister's hairbrushes, I plucked the hairband from my wrist and pulled my hair into a high ponytail.

I had another idea. My parents' house. I had clothes in my old room. Could I sneak in?