Three

~ ~ Maddy ~ ~

~ ~ Maddy ~ ~

Riley Jo giggled, waving her hand all over the darn place whilst she pulled another clean plate from the dishwasher, explaining in graphic detail how she'd helped deliver a foal with their vet, Calvin, who was new to Lockwood Creek.

My eyes shifted when Adam walked into the kitchen pressing a finger to his lips, not signalling to Riley Jo that he was about to surprise her. He grinned at me before wrapping his arms around my sister's expanding tummy.

Riley Jo and Adam hadn't been married long. He was older than my sister, not that it mattered. Love didn't care about age. Adam was a doctor...a surgeon. And they were expecting their first child. My nephew or niece, and I was so happy for them both.

Riley Jo gasped. "What have I told you about creepin' up on a pregnant lady?" Her head twisted around, looking up, smiling.

Adam kissed her nose. "You were too busy talking to notice me." He spun her around and my sister glanced up at her husband adoringly and my chest tightened.

That was how love was supposed to be.

Tender. Sweet. Real.

Three things I couldn't associate with my marriage.

He whispered something and Riley Jo's cheeks bloomed as she playfully slapped his bicep. "I need to shoot off." He snatched another kiss and then patted his pockets. "Keys?"

Riley answered with an eye-roll. "By the door, Doctor."

He turned to me. "Nice seeing you, Maddy." He picked up his phone from the table. "Don't be a stranger. You're always welcome."

Both my sister and Adam had been so nice to me. More than I deserved since she came out of the hospital following being assaulted in her own home and nearly dying in a fire.

"Give me a second?" Riley Jo walked him out, returning a few moments later. "You ready to see the foal?" she asked, rubbing her tummy in small circles.

"Is the sky blue?" I beamed.

We stepped out onto the wraparound porch of their newly built large ranch house and headed around back. Adam had bought the land from the Reillys and built their house in record time. I only realised how wealthy his family was when he hired every workman available within a hundred miles and paid them double time to get it done fast.

It was a beautiful home and now Riley was living our childhood dream of running her own horse and rescue sanctuary. I was so proud of her and yeah, maybe a little envious.

"So how are you feeling?" I asked her pointing at the cute round belly.

Riley Jo grumbled, lifting a shoulder. "Tired a little, but good overall... well, apart from these." She cupped her breasts. "They just keep growing." Giggling. "Not that you hear my husband complaining."