Thirty-One

~ ~ Jackson ~ ~

~ ~ Jackson ~ ~

My aunt, Jody, puffed out her chest. "If you don't get that, then I'm gonna," she warned, pointing her wooden spoon in my direction. She was talking about my phone, which was vibrating on the table for the third time in ten minutes.

"Whose you avoiding anyhow?" Her dark eyebrow rose suspiciously.

I knew the caller was Logan. I'd spoken to him when I'd just finished my session with Jordan, my physical therapist. He asked that I be home on time as Maddy was apparently cooking up a storm, making my favourite for tonight's dinner.

Not in the mood for an argument, I told him I would be there.

But honestly, the idea of a family dinner, sitting there smiling and pretending to be happy, was the last thing I wanted to do. Especially after my gruelling day. Jordan had pushed me harder than before, working on my balance and coming to the end, I'd taken a tumble.

Now, the logical part of me knows it's still progress. At first I couldn't feel where my left leg and foot were and using my vision to compensate was exhausting. And I still had to use my stick to ensure I didn't slip. But I was walking further now. Able to walk and talk at the same time.

Two steps forward and one step back is still one step forward. Jordan had repeated to me and I know he's right.

But climbing into the truck, Jody offered me to stay for dinner and I happily accepted.

And yeah, I should have told Logan. But honestly, I didn't think it would be a big deal.

My phone vibrated again.

"Last warning, Jackson?" Jody huffed, opening the refrigerator door to pull out her Buttermilk pie.

"Fine," I gritted out, eye rolling.

"I saw that!" she said, closing the fridge door with a swipe of her hip.

What?  She had eyes in the back of her head now?

"And quit the attitude or you can find your own way home."

Keeping my sarky reply to myself I looked at my phone. Three missed calls and a deluge of messages.

Logan: Everything okay?

Logan: Where the hell are you?

Logan: Why ain't you answering your phone?

Logan: You better be in trouble or something?

Logan: I ask you to do one thing! ONE THING!

Logan: Fine. I'm guessing you're hiding your chickenshit ass at Jody's. I'm calling her now!!!

Ah, shit. I didn't want Jody involved as I quickly fired a message off: I'll be home soon; it read.

He fired one back just as quickly. It read: I told you Maddy was cooking. I said it was important. Did you not understand that?