Seventeen

Pregnant.

The words trailed Ada, twenty four hours after she'd walked out on Tega. The same word had followed her into her dreams where she'd seen John abandoning her at the alter and running into Tega's arms. No matter how much she'd pleaded, John had still left. After such a vivid dream she'd been unable to go back to sleep.

Now, as the cab passed through the estate gates and she drew closer to home, it felt like someone was screaming that word into her ears, over and over again.

She had to leave. There was only so much she could take. John didn't deserve her love, not a bit. This man had humiliated and debased her. He'd raped and abused her both physically, emotionally and verbally. And she'd held on because he loved her. Love was what she'd used to completely deceive herself. She hissed at the tears that began running down her cheeks. The stupid thing won't stop.

"Madam, you dey okay?" The Uber driver was staring at her through the rearview mirror. He'd asked her this question three times now as the tears had continually rolled down.

"I'm fine Oga. Just dey go my house."

She could feel his eyes on her the remaining five minutes it took to get to her house. She paid in cash and alighted, her eyes already on the building. John was home, she could hear the speakers already from where she stood. Ada had hoped he'd be unavailable so she could pack her things and leave quietly. He could have the house and the car, all she needed was her sanity.

But standing here now, the bass of the music thumping, she wanted the opposite. John had been a total bastard and while she was supposedly in the hospital, he was here grooving to music. Her blood boiled, all the pent up fury from the past year fuelling her anger. She would confront him.

His eyes were on her immediately she entered the house. He was on his feet, already turning off the speakers.

"Baby!" He came to hug her. "I've missed you so much."

"Really?" Her voice sounded strange to her, cold and distant.

"Yes." He pulled back to look at her, his gaze raking her up and down.

"You missed me, not Tega?" She felt and saw him stiffen, his smile fell.

"What are you talking about?" He took a few steps away from her, his fingers raking through his hair. "Who is Tega?"

If she didn't know him so well, she might have fallen for it. But she did. She could see the ice in his eyes and how his hands fisted, so defensive. Ada hissed and moved away, heading for the bedroom. John followed.

She brought out her suitcase, the one she hadn't unpacked from before and began adding clothes to it. She felt his eyes on her as she packed. She filled another suitcase and then set it beside the first.

"Where are you going?"

"Out."

"With all those suitcases?"

"Why does it matter to you?" She turned to him, hands on her waist. This position was so familiar. It was here that she'd stood with him, arguing about clothes and then he pushed her. To think she'd endured all this and the man had gotten someone else pregnant.

"Can we have a decent conversation? Why are you attacking me?"

Ada laughed. He was still playing the 'I'm innocent' game. "Sure, you can start by telling me about Tega and when you planned to break up with me!"

He didn't say anything and just continued to stare at her, his chest rising and falling quickly. She grabbed her bags, rolling them behind her as she moved. She made it to the sitting room before he grabbed one of the bags, almost tripping her in the process. She righted herself, then turned to look at him.