Five

Ada immediately knew he was home. Her car that he'd taken out last night was parked in front of the house and she could hear the loud thump of music as she neared the door. John would chastise her so much for this. How would she even explain why she went out without telling him and to a strip club even?

The worse part was refusing to let him take her home and hiding behind Chike like some scared child. Pulling herself together, she slowly opened the door and walked in. John was seated in front of the television, a bottle in his hand. He rhythmically nodded his head to the beat and drank straight from the bottle every now and then.

Ada took off her shoes and made her way to him. John must have heard her come in because he reduced the volume but didn't turn to look at her.

"Babe, good morning," she greeted. He nodded and she made to walk past him. Maybe talking to him after she'd showered and changed would be a good idea.

"Stop right there," he growled. She froze up immediately and watched him stand up. John dropped the bottle on the floor beside the chair and held her gaze. "Go back to where you are coming from, you slut."

"What?" Was he for real or was this the alcohol talking? Why would he even be calling her a slut? He knows there was nothing going on between her and Chike.

"Did I stutter? Cheap prostitute, ashewo. Go back to where you came from." He walked towards her. Afraid, she took a few steps back. John saw that and threw his head back laughing. "Are you scared? You should be."

Suddenly he was in front of her and she forced herself to stay still. "Babe calm down ehn. Let's calm down and talk rationally, like adults," she pleaded.

John shoved her and she stumbled. He continued shoving her till she was pinned against the wall. Her eyes had gone wide with fear and confusion. What was wrong with him?

"Baby, stop pushing me and let's talk, please."

"Talk about what? You want me to listen to you lie about what happened yesterday? I'm so glad I saw it." He wrapped his hand around her throat and lifted her so she was on the tip of her toes. John was by far larger than her and she'd never been afraid of the difference in their bodies, until now.

Ada clawed at his hand, finding it difficult to breathe. John squeezed harder, his face squeezed into a hateful mask.

"How many of them fucked you? You can't talk? Which one was it? Chike the so called bestie or his friends that were protecting you?"

"I...I," she tried speaking but he had a tight hold on her throat. How did he expect her to explain if he wouldn't let her talk?

"Did they take turns or did you fuck them all at once, you whore?" When she still didn't respond, John slapped her.

In her entire life, Ada had never been hit. Her name Adanna meant her father's daughter and true to it's meaning, Mr. George Nwafor treated his daughter like the apple of his eyes. Even when she was wrong, he only gave her a stern talking to and left the punishment to her mother. Those punishments were always limited time watching TV or keeping her indoors and away from her friends for a few days.

Now, the man she'd fallen in love with had slapped her and was currently choking her while she did nothing but struggle. Tears rolled down her face and John laughed at the sight.

"You're crying? You have not seen anything. You're going to explain everything to me and I'll make sure you can't lie to me." He let go of her throat and she dropped to the floor, clutching her neck and forcing air down her lungs.

The little air she'd inhaled was forced out as John kicked her in the sides. She screamed and tried to crawl away before he caught her legs.

"How many of them did you fuck?" John screamed at her. He flipped her over so she was now laying down on the floor facing him. Before she could lift herself, he was kneeling down so she was in between his legs. A few more blows were added to her face and she screamed at each impact.

What was wrong with John? He'd never been violent to her in the past. Sure, they'd exchanged words when angry, but each quarrel had ended with an apology from the man. She'd never seen him this angry and couldn't understand why he chose to display it this way.

John tugged on the tiny strap of her dress, ripping it. He pushed the material down so her chest was exposed to him. "So you didn't even bother with a bra and you went with them? Did you wear panties?" He shoved the dress up and saw that she was sufficiently clothed. John tore her panties off her in one move. "Even if you wore, it doesn't stop you from removing it for them."

"John stop. Don't touch me," she cried.

"So they can touch you as they like, but I can't? You must be stupid." He shoved a finger inside her and she screamed in outrage, which John must have enjoyed because he grinned. "You're not enjoying this? Too bad, baby. You don't really have a choice."

Ada closed her eyes and let her mind drift in search of something, anything to take her from her harsh reality. So when John forced his organ into her and began to rut, she didn't feel it. She'd completely dissociated herself from the present. This was hell, one she had no intention of living in. She thought about her family and her friends. She remembered the good times she'd had with John and how he'd taken such good care of her. Would she be able to see him the same way again? Even if she saw him for what he really was, could she leave him?

Would forgiving him not be better? What was love if it could not go through a few trials? Yes, this was a trial for them and she was sure she could pull through. After all, John was intoxicated right now. When he got back to being sober, they'd fix this. She'd let him know she didn't like what happened and they'd fix this. She would not be a coward and run away, not from him.

After assuring herself over and over again, Ada finally passed out. But not before hearing John's whispered 'I love you."

***

I know you guys would have so many opinions about her choice and while leaving is the best option when faced with abuse, not everyone has the courage to leave.

To everyone who has been through any form of abuse, I want to say I'm sorry to you and I hope you are in a better place. You deserve so much more and I wish you all the happiness!

Thanks for reading ❤️

Don't forget to vote and comment!