6 | ᴄᴀᴠᴇᴅ ɪɴ, ᴘᴀʀᴛ 1

Start from the beginning

This remote base, though with ample protections, seemed like the perfect way to do so. He thought he got his chance. Thus, while Megatron was away, he bypassed every protocol and sent his drones to seize it. It was a secret mission he made sure was in his name. He wanted the glory for himself and no one else. The blow to the Autobots would be detrimental, and he wanted all to know that it was Starscream that did it, not Megatron.

He didn't think to check the details of exactly who was there until after everything was over.

What he found was not only the bodies of Autobots trying to protect that 'base'. There were other Decepticons there as well, seemingly betraying their cause to aid them. Starscream did not realize why until he went further in.

Children, both of Decepticon and Autobot descent, even those of the few remaining neutral civilians. Their bodies littered the 'base', painting every room in their energon. Most, if not all of them had been kept in that base, away from the battle.

It was why it was in such a remote location.

It was why it was hidden from scanners even though the location was kept.

Starscream didn't research further until it was too late, and as he did with every failure, he fled the scene.

Those that didn't die in the attacks couldn't survive the heartache of their families' deaths, and their weak sparks gave out, flowing into a well that no longer gave light. This was the event known as The Last Fall.

No one ever saw a living sparkling ever again.

A lover who loses their spouse is a widow, and a child who loses their parent is an orphan.

But what do you call a parent who loses a child?

Those that remained could not stand to stay on-world after that. There was too much heartbreak. Those that had lost their children were never the same again, vengeful and in mourning. Some couldn't stand it and snuffed out their own sparks to run from the pain of a broken bond.

Each side lost untold numbers because of that incident, not just Decepticons.

Megatron may have been a tyrannical bastard, but even he would never stoop that low. When he got back from his missions, he went into a murderous rage trying to find out what happened. Starscream managed to hide his blunder under the guise of a rogue accident, something common that happened in the war.

It was the only reason why his fellow Decepticons didn't kill him themselves.

Megatron was no fool, however, and knew something was off. That was why he instructed Soundwave to investigate the tragedy. He too had known something was suspicious with that case, and it was a personal endeavor for him to find the truth.

The silent mech was too excellent at his job. And the moment he found out who had done it, his stance on the matter was very clear.

Soundwave never told Megatron what or who, but he knew that he'd lost someone close to him that day, and had since been out for blood.

"No! Please! Give me one more chance, Master!"

"You've ceased to be of use to me, Starscream. Now, you will simply cease to be."

But the moment he was about to blast him into oblivion, the small Autobot femme, Arcee, appeared.

Megatron honestly contemplated simply ignoring her in lieu of his much more important target. Soundwave was not a subordinate or friend he wanted to lose over a rust pit like Starscream. But she fired on him before he could even decide who to take out first.