3 | ɢʜᴏꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴇ

Symbol By Me! This is the Neo Spark logo! You can find more of it on my Kofi.

Things had been normal at the Autobot base, they had just set up a nice little routine around their newest human companions. They went on their regular patrols, taking out any Con they came across. Then, they'd recon back at base, and deal with any injuries.

After that, they'd pick their charges up from school, shooting off to their base for some much-needed downtime. After a while, they'd take them home, making sure there were no tails to and from their drop-off.

It was a simple and fulfilling daily schedule for the Autobots. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened as of late, and they hadn't heard anything from Megatron and his goons.

Well, nothing had happened until today, when they got an odd, faint ping on their sensors.

"Is this thing malfunctioning again...?" Ratchet sighed in frustration, trying to fix whatever was wrong with the mainframe this time. Stupid human tech never works right. He ran diagnostics on it. Refreshing it again and again, but still, the faint ping wouldn't leave.

"Here, let me!" Raf, bless his soul, was a guru when it came to tech. The twelve-year-old genius worked his magic, checking through every system with a program he'd made. When he finished, he let out a sound of confusion. "Um, Ratchet, nothing's wrong with it. In fact, it's running the best it ever has right now."

With his trusted input, Ratchet's optics whipped to the scanner so fast he may have given himself whiplash. "By Primus himself..." If this was indeed a true reading, then, "Optimus! You need to see this!"

His old friend was at his side in moments, quiet inquiries swirling in his vibrantly blue orbs. The others weren't far behind, as this had been a particularly slower day than most. "What is it Rachet? Is something wrong?"

"Take a look at this." He said, pointing to the reading. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

Just as Ratchet had, Optimus' reaction was a delightful surprise and wary caution. "You've checked that this is true?"

"Thoroughly, ran a diagnostic on the system and everything. Even Rafael checked through it. It's legit."

"What is?" Jack, curious about the growing commotion, asked. "What's going on?"

When the other bots got a look at the scan, they exclaimed, "Energon?! That close by?!"

It was practically a hop, skip, and jump away from them just driving there. And with a ground bridge, less than a second is needed. The reading was faint, but it was known that mines were usually deep beneath the ground. Open mines that the Decepticons had seized gave off a "loud" signal since they'd been unearthed.

The fact that this signal was this "soft", with no con signals in sight meant...

"A mine that hasn't been touched," Optimus confirmed everyone's thoughts.

"What if this is a con trap?" Arcee, rightfully suspicious, asked. "It wouldn't be the first time they tried to lure us out."

"A fair assessment, Arcee," Optimus agreed. "But if this is indeed an untouched energon mine, then we must seize it before the Decepticons get there first."

"Yeah, if you haven't noticed," Rachet sassed, "we are sorely lacking in energon. If anyone else gets injured, I may not have the means to repair you." It was a grave reminder. They were in desperate need of energon, and everyone understood that fact.

So, if this was a true signal, then...

"Autobots, let's roll out."

They had to take the chance.