Chapter 11

JARED'S POV

Anna gazed at me through teary eyes, cocking her head, wiping at her nose.

"What do you mean?" she questioned, knitting her brows together, looking confused.

"I mean, I have no problem with you coming to live with me," I told her, the words coming out like word-vomit before I had really thought about them.

Was that too soon? Would Anna think my offer was strange?

I couldn't take it back now. I had said what I had said, but, if I brought her back to the pack, I knew Clara and Dylan would most definitely pull me aside and say she couldn't stay.

It was far too risky to have Anna around the pack. She didn't know what we were, and people would have to pretend to be human with her around.

She would probably think I lived in some kind of cult.

"Jared, be realistic," Anna sniffled, laughing a little. "I can't afford to pay rent for your house. I mean, it's incredible and I could only dream of living there, but, I don't expect you to allow me to stay there for free."

I hummed in confusion, knitting my brows together.

She hadn't seen my house?

Oh.

The party.

She thought that was my house.

"Oh, no, that was just a house Gia was renting. I don't live there," I told her, wanting her to know that I didn't live in a grand old mansion like she thought.

"Oh, you don't?" asked Anna, and I shook my head, wheeling myself over to her coffee table and grabbing her a box of tissues, passing it to her.

She thanked me, wiping her nose, looking embarrassed.

"No, I live in my own house," I told her.

It wasn't a lie, but, there was no way I could allow Anna to actually come into my house. If Anna was going to stay with me, I would need to rent somewhere around here quickly away from the pack.

I swallowed, not enjoying the idea of lying to my mate, but, I wanted her to like me for me, and not because of our bond.

I didn't want to spring the fact that we were mates on her and make her think that she was expected to be with me. It didn't work like that, and I wanted her to make the decision for herself.

"I don't know," muttered Anna, shuffling away from me, and I nodded, exhaling.

"I know, it's a lot," I told her, offering her a small smile. "It's a big decision and it's a hard one to make. You don't have to let me know straight away, but I just want you to know that the offer is always on the table."

"Thank you so much," Anna said, getting up to throw her soggy tissue in the trash, lingering in the open kitchen for a while, fiddling with her drying towel, tracing around the circular pattern. "Would you like something to eat? I was going to heat up some pie for dinner?"

Anna's voice was hesitant, and she dropped her head and stared at the countertop, dragging her bottom lip into her mouth.

She looked adorable when she was embarrassed.

I had already eaten, and definitely wasn't hungry, but, I wasn't going to let Anna know that.

"Yes, of course, that sounds great," I told her, a smile making its way to her face before she nodded, turning to her fridge and bringing out a huge crispy golden pie, my mouth watering at the sight.