Chapter 30

JARED'S POV

It had been three days since Amelia had visited us in the phone store. I had been a nervous wreck, and I could tell that Anna felt the same.

I felt like I was stepping on egg shells around her though, ironic since I couldn't actually step.

I didn't want to say anything that would freak my mate out. Amelia was after us and the pressure had finally caused Anna to crack, but I didn't blame her.

Dylan had been keeping me updated, letting me know that they hadn't picked up Amelia's scent since that day, so it appeared that she hadn't returned. I was still wary though. Amelia enjoyed putting on a show and teasing people. I knew that she would return, and strike just as hard, if not harder.

Anna was currently in her room, where she had been spending a lot of her time. It seemed as if she wanted to put distance between us, afraid that Amelia would strike again if she saw us together. I knew that she had to do what she had to do though. If having time to herself meant that she would feel more comfortable, then I accepted it.

My phone started to buzz, and I picked it up from the coffee table, holding it to my ear. "Dylan, hey."

"Jared, I've got a letter from Amelia here that you need to see. It arrived a few minutes ago." Dylan's voice sounded strained, and I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"I'll be there soon," I told him. "Shall I bring Anna?"

Dylan didn't answer for a few seconds, but he eventually released a loud exhale. "You might want to read through it first. You'll be the best person to break the news to her."

Break the news to her?

My blood ran cold, and a thousand scenarios ran through my head. "What do you mean?"

"Just get over here as soon as you can."

Dylan quickly ended the call, and I pulled the phone away to stare at it, my brows furrowed. What was so bad that Dylan didn't want Anna to hear?

Wheeling myself down the hall, I knocked on Anna's door, hearing her shuffle behind it. After a couple of seconds, she pulled it open, smiling at me shyly.

"Are you okay?" she asked, knitting her brows together and taking in my perplexed expression. I tried my best to hide it though. I didn't want her to know that something was wrong.

"Yeah," I said, clearing my throat. "I'm just letting you know that I'm heading out to go and see Dylan. He wants to discuss a few things with me."

Anna sighed, running her hand through her hair and fiddling with her nose ring, something I had noticed that she did when she was anxious. "Will I be here by myself?"

I shook my head, pulling my phone out of my pocket. "Nope, I'm texting Gia to come over. You'll have wolves watching you too, remember? So you'll be safe."

"Will you be safe?" Anna questioned me, her mouth parting slightly as she cocked her head at me, looking concerned.

Releasing a small chuckle, I nodded. "Don't worry about me. The pack isn't far."

"Okay," muttered Anna, nodding once. She looked me up and down quickly, biting at the inside of her cheek as she stood before me awkwardly. I knew that she didn't know what to say.

"Gia has just left, so she'll be here in a bit," I told her, taking a look at my screen.

"Be safe please."

Nodding, I smiled at my mate, beginning to wheel myself out of the house, watching as Anna gazed at me for a few seconds. She looked guilty, and I knew it was because of how she had acted a few days ago. I didn't want her to feel bad about being honest though.