Chapter 40

ANNA'S POV

I was shaking as I stared up at the cell building in front of me. The metal was rusty and eerie looking, and Jared, Dylan and Gia lingered behind me as they waited anxiously. I was taking my sweet time, but I had to make sure that this was what I really wanted.

Amelia couldn't hurt me anymore- or any of us for that matter. I was just nervous to see how she was being bound. Was she tied up to a wall? Was she beaten and bruised? Was she going to be unrecognisable?

I shivered at the thought, but I pushed the door to the cells open, the guard helping me so do as he nodded at everyone. We filed in, Dylan moving to enter first with Jared right behind me. He cleared his throat to get me to look at him, sending me a nod of approval. He raised his brows though, ensuring that I was okay.

"Are you sure this is what you want, Anna?" Dylan asked me quickly before we rounded the corner.

I released a sigh, nodding. "I think so. I'll regret it if I don't talk to her."

Dylan nodded, unbolting the heavy door, the sound loud and causing me to flinch. We entered, flicking on the main light and strolling through the corridor. The cells on either side of us were empty, making me relieved. I would have hated to see a string of prisoners wasting away looking like skeletons.

"Is nobody else here?" I questioned and Dylan shook his head.

"We try to avoid holding people down here when possible," he responded.

I nodded, unsure if he meant that they just didn't get involved in anything satire or if they just disposed of people soon after capturing them. I didn't want to ask and find out the answer though. The thought of them killing people here caused me to feel sick, but I understood that werewolves and humans viewed death differently.

"Anna," Jared spoke softly, causing me to turn to him as I walked. "Let me know if you want to leave at any point. Just say the words and we'll go."

"Thank you," I told him, leaning down to kiss his lips. "I need this though."

I really did.

We reached the end of the dingy corridor, Dylan gesturing to one of the cells, taking a few steps to the side to allow me to peer in. Amelia was sat in the corner and luckily, she wasn't smothered in blood or half-dead. The sight would be traumatising.

She raised her head, arching a brow at me and smiling.

"Come to gloat?" she questioned jeeringly, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning her head back against the wall of the cell.

I shook my head. "No. I've come to talk."

Amelia chuckled. "About what? What is there to talk about? Do you want to talk about Jared? About how you're both going to frolic off into the sunset together? I don't want to hear it."

I turned to gaze at everyone, wanting them to go, but I knew that they would be hesitant. However, talking to Amelia with Jared in here wasn't going to work. She wasn't going to open up knowing he was listening. She was putting up a strong front.

Jared understood what I was trying to silently say, and he shook his head. "No, Anna. I want to stay to make sure she doesn't-"

"I'm not going to hurt her, Jared," Amelia grumbled, rolling her eyes. "I want her to live in fear and torment. I don't want to give her the easy way out and kill her. Death would be too kind."

Jared growled, wheeling himself forwards, but Gia placed her hand on his shoulder, shaking her head.

"Jared, I'll stay so they can talk," Dylan said. "And we have guards here too. Anna will be perfectly safe. The door is made of industrial steel and can't be broken, even in wolf form."