Chapter 34

JARED'S POV

Sophia gazed at me with teary eyes. She hadn't been speaking much since Anna's disappearance. We wanted to keep it from her to save her from the trauma, but, she was continuously asking her whereabouts, and we couldn't hide it any longer.

However, we did leave out the part about her having been taken by Amelia and her alcoholic abusive Father. That, she didn't need to know.

I had resorted to sitting at home waiting while the fighters looked for my mate. I was fuming, and had to resist the urge smash everything breakable in the house. I needed a way to release some pent up fury, unable to shift.

"Any news?" Clara asked me as she wandered into the living room with Sonny on her hip. She looked me up and down sorrowfully, taking in my shrinking form. I hadn't been eating, and had barely slept a wink. I was always up mapping out routes for the warriors to take on their mission to find my mate.

I shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose and fiddling with my phone in my hand. It felt like I had been staring at it for a decade, my eyes almost turning square as I watched the screen like a hawk, just waiting for Dylan's name to flash up on it with more information.

I heard Clara sighed, and Sophia shuffled away from the couch and latched onto her Mother's side, pressing her small face into her legs.

"I'm going to take them to bed," Clara told me, and I nodded once, not even looking in her direction. I couldn't. I didn't want to see the pity on her face. I needed to remain strong.

Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I shook my head, leaning my head back against my chair and staring up at the ceiling. I focused on the few cobwebs that settled in the corners, narrowing my eyes as I watched for any sign of life upon them.

None.

This place needed a good dusting, but, I understood how caught up in my mess of a life everyone here had been. Housework was the least of their worries.

Reaching out beside me, I picked up one of the flyers of Anna that Clara and Gia had made and printed off for me. I had spent hours going around town handing them to people and posting them up on benches and lampposts. Anna was human, so it was a good idea to have the humans look out for her.

Clara and Gia had also offered a reward on the poster- a very large sum of money. Humans loved money, and I was hoping that that would encourage them to come forward with any information they had.

It was a long shot, but was worth it. We needed as many eyes peeled as possible.

I wanted to leave, to go out and continue searching for Anna on my own, but, Clara wouldn't let me. I had exhausted myself racing around town and the nearby woods for any sign of anything that would help us find her, and I had been told that it was too dangerous for me.

Deep down, I knew they were right. Without my wolf, I wouldn't be able to defend myself against Amelia. I could take Anna's Father, especially if his reflexes had been slowed from drinking, but as long as Amelia was in the picture, it was unsafe for me to be out there searching for my mate.

I hated it with every fibre in my being. It was unfair, not only on me, but on Anna. She was dragged into this world and wasn't even given a mate who could fully protect her. What on Earth was the Moon Goddess thinking putting her in such danger?

"Fuck this," I muttered to myself, picking up the vase next to me and launching it forwards. The sound bounced off the living room walls, the shattered glass surrounding me, it having travelled further than I had expected.

Sonny started to cry from upstairs, the crashing noise obviously startling him, and I cursed at myself in frustration. "I'm sorry, Clara!" I called up, but she didn't respond, and I could here her comforting her crying son as best she could, probably muttering sweet nothings into his ear soothingly.