Chapter 7

JARED'S POV

The journey to Anna's apartment was longer than I had expected.

There was only one umbrella, and I insisted that she used it. However, she took it with pouty lips, looking at me sadly, especially when I got soaking wet from the heavy rain. I was pretty sure I could have wringed out my whole dress shirt and collected a few large buckets of water.

Anna would stop every few minutes to try and hand me the umbrella, telling me that I could use it, but, I didn't mind getting wet knowing she was nice and dry. I didn't want her to get cold, even if I had given her my jacket.

I kept an eye on her walking, noticing how she was a little unsteady on her feet due to the champagne she had drunk, a part of me concerned that she was going to fall over and hurt herself. I wheeled closely behind her, just in case she fell. That way, I could catch her.

We spent the majority of the trip laughing and chattering, Anna seemingly much more at ease having left the party. She had somewhat enjoyed it, but things had got a little heated, and she was uncomfortable. I didn't want her thinking she had to stay to keep anyone happy, so I was more than happy to escort her home.

I was a little riled up over Jake, his attitude really getting to me, but spending time with my mate was a good distraction. I didn't want to lash out in front of her, so, I forced myself to keep my cool.

I wanted nothing more than to tell her what she meant to me, but, I knew she would laugh in my face, slowly becoming creeped out after I didn't let it go.

I knew it wasn't the time, so I decided to keep quiet. I didn't want to push it too much. I needed to ensure Anna was completely comfortable with me until I told her anything about who I was.

After around thirty minutes of walking, Anna turned to me, assuring me that her apartment was only around the corner, and she would be okay to be left alone and could make her way to the door by herself.

I obviously told her no, saying that I would like to walk her to her to it to ensure that she got in alright, but she went red, shaking her head. She was adamant that she didn't need to be escorted, and she wasn't going to change her mind, so I had let her go.

She had scurried off in a rush, thanking me for walking her home, letting me know that she would text me, but, I was unsettled.

I rounded the corner, watching Anna as she hurried off, splashing through puddles, probably soaking her feet even more, and making her way towards a large beige building.

I couldn't quite make out the doors to the different apartments through the pouring rain, but I waited for a few minutes until I received a text from Anna, letting me know that she had made it inside.

I couldn't help but feel disappointed that Anna didn't want me to see her apartment, her making it very obvious that she wanted me to remain far enough away from the building that I couldn't see it. What was she hiding from me that she was so ashamed of?

I had to remind myself that she was human though, and they took things much slower than wolves. I couldn't expect Anna to take this at my pace. It was all going to be on her terms, and, I didn't mind.

I was currently sitting in the spare room at Dylan and Clara's house, tapping my pen against my chin as I attempted to sort through the workout regimes I had been planning for the fighters.

I wasn't happy with some of their rotas, having done them in a rush, my mind completely filled with thoughts of my mate. I had made multiple mistakes, and had been trying to fix them, knowing Dylan would notice the issues and would bring them up with me when he returned home from work.