Chapter 39

ANNA'S POV

I groaned as I clicked my neck, the crunching sound causing me to wince in pain. My body felt stiff, and I opened my eyes to see that I was lying down on a bed, the room painted a dark navy colour and multiple male shirts and pants covering the floor.

Where was I?

I was alone, and I pushed myself up onto my elbows, stretching my legs and scrunching my face up when my calves cramped up. I didn't want to release any sound, but I couldn't help but huff as I rode out the cramp, it eventually disappearing.

My brain was foggy and I was trying to wrack it to remember where I had last been before I must have either fallen asleep or been knocked out.

I remembered Jared. I remembered his anxious face and his warm arms as they wrapped themselves around me. My insides fluttered at the thought of him, tears springing to my eyes all of a sudden and before I knew it, I was crying.

I sobbed as it all came back to me. I remembered how my Father had found me and had been working with Amelia. My Mother had been there who I hadn't seen in years, and Amelia wasn't shy about informing us how the rest of our lives was going to be filled with pain and torment. I really hadn't thought we were going to make it out of there, but we did.

The wolves had found us. I only hoped that Amelia was dead. She had escaped out of a window and I didn't know what had happened after that. Perhaps she got away? I was going to gave to prepare myself to live in constant fear and paranoia if she did escape. She was never going to give up and she would always waste her life trying to get to me and break Jared and I apart.

"Anna?"

I gasped at the voice, gazing up to see Jared pushing himself through the doorway. His brows were knitted together in worry as he took in my wet and blotchy face, and he engulfed me in a hug before pressing his lips to the top of my head again and again.

"You're okay," he whispered as he rocked me back and forth. "I promise you."

"Where is she?" I demanded, my voice shaking and hoarse.

Jared smiled sadly, leaning over to the bedside table, passing me a glass of water. I chugged it thankfully, the cool liquid soothing my sore throat before I turned my attention back to him. I needed to know where Amelia was.

"We have her," Jared said, his words echoing off the bedroom walls and bouncing around inside of my skull. It felt surreal.

"What? Really? Where?" I asked, my breathing rate quickening.

"Okay," spoke Jared with concern. "I'm not going to tell you anything until you calm yourself down, alright? You look like you're about to have a panic attack."

Jared was right. My fingers and toes were tingling and my heart was beating harshly from within my chest. I felt sick and my head was pounding, but the news was too good to ignore. Amelia had been tormenting us for too long and we finally had her captured. She wasn't going to be able to hurt us any longer.

Jared disappeared out of the room briefly to get me something to eat, passing me over a sandwich he had quickly put together. I bit into it, forcing myself to eat in order to make him happy, despite the fact that my stomach was gurgling from anxiety.

I finished about half of it, watching as Jared rummaged through the drawers for a sweatshirt for me, noticing my shivering form. I hadn't realised how cold I was.

"Is this your room?" I asked, cocking my head as I gazed around it, soaking up his scent and breathing it in. It made me feel good. Calm. Collected.

"Yes," he said. "I mean, it's the room that was mine when I was staying at Clara and Dylan's. I haven't moved a lot of my stuff. I only took a few things to the house that we were renting when you didn't know about me."