Part 121 (Light of My Life)

Fjolnir sat in the front room with Thor and I for awhile, talking about his rein as king of Vanaheim.

The stress had grown too much for Freyr after the blip, so he chose to push the throne to his heir, even though he hadn't married. Fjolnir took quite a bit of time describing the scenario to both Thor and I, enjoying the company of the two of us.

That was until Thor got called off to help some of the Asgardians purchase new equipment for the farm. He left with a kiss on my head, and that left Fjolnir and I alone.

"I must give you my sincerest apologies for your loss, princess. Is there anything I can do?" He asked softly, moving from his seat on the recliner to sit beside me on the couch. "Truly, I'd do anything if it were to give you an ounce of relief. I wanted to come sooner, but with the kingdom a-"

"Don't worry about it, Nir." I said softly, laying my head on his shoulder. His arm gently guided itself around me, his other resting on my knee. "For some reason, this is making a realm of difference for me."

"Come to Vanaheim with me." He pushed, leaning back. "I'd be so happy to have you alongside me, even just for a short period of time while you find yourself once again."

I contemplated it for a moment, truly, before I looked back at the king beside me.

"Yes." I said quietly.

Fjolnir grinned at that, "Brilliant! I'm delighted, princess. Would leaving tomorrow morning sound satisfactory to you?"

"That... Sounds fine." I responded with a slight nod. "I should go see Thor and let him know."

"It feels a bit odd, but I swear to you it's perfectly safe." Fjolnir stated as he grabbed my hand, his other holding some sort of odd, ring shaped bracelet.

"Be safe, little sister." Thor said for the thousandth time as I looked back at him.

"Of course. I'll be back soon."

With that I felt the air underneath me, but it was quick that we, quite literally, landed on Vanaheim, our feet hitting the ground first.

"See? Perfectly safe." Fjolnir said with a smile, his hand running across my lower back as he walked me towards the palace.

"Seems that way." I mumbled back, shooting him a small smile.

"You can stay here." He said quietly, opening what I knew was his consort suite's door. "No one will think anything of it. I've used it more as a guest room than anything of greater significance."

I had to say, truthfully, the way he still held care towards my insecurity with the public's perception of me was quite charming.

It's why I still couldn't understand why he had done it. Why he had so casually, thoughtfully lied to me.

"Can I have the servants bring you anything, princess?"

"No, thank you." I said quietly, taking in the room. Blues and silvers filled the room, with hints of grey and white all around. It was a gorgeous room, plush and obviously somewhat inspired by midgard, but still kept the same outdoors feeling as the rest of Vanaheim.

"I should make my presence known to the court, and allow my father to know his interim status can end now." He said quietly. "I'll be back soon, alright? We can... Have dinner, together?"

"Yes, that sounds nice."

I stayed quiet until the evening, staying in the room and reading Loki's old magic book from my dimensional pocket. The little notes always made me smile, where he'd written what he was sure I'd be good at, tidbits of knowledge, and little jokes.