Part 105 (The Vanir)

Court meetings could be considered torture, I was sure.

Yet Loki was insistent that I come to the strong majority of them, sitting beside or on him on the large gold throne. I never dared to question it in front of the court, but in our suite I had more than once over the last several days.

His answer was always the same. He wanted me there, and would be rather cross if I had to stand there or perch myself on the side like a decorative ornament. He insisted Frigga often sat beside Odin in their younger years, when she attended meetings; that it was nothing abnormal to the court.

I had to admit, though, it was quite comfortable. Far more comfortable than attempting to sit on the arm or stand through the often hours long meetings.

Loki had just dismissed the court when I finally sighed, leaning back onto him.

He kissed my head as he repositioned me, lifting my legs up so I sat on one side of him with my legs laid over his lap.

"Tired, perfection?" He asked me softly, his hand finding its way to run his fingers along my jaw. "You didn't come to bed until late."

I forced a small smile to him, "The ladies have been struggling with the change in roles. I was writing step by step instructions for every minuscule task so they don't have to ask me a million questions every time I get down there."

"You'd think they'd know better." He huffed. "They're all centuries older; they should know better."

"Until I came along, it seems your mother did most of the managing work." I responded.

"Incompetent, irresponsi-"

I hushed Loki with a huff. "They're learning, Lo. I just pray Odin wakes soon."

"I know." He said softly, his hand resting on my cheek as he leaned in for a quick, sweet kiss. "I know this is hard on you, darling. If you'd like to start skipping the meetin-"

"No." I responded quickly. The last thing I wanted was Loki to feel he was putting too much pressure on me, or that he had to do any of this alone. He may not have outwardly wanted it, but I knew he reveled in the idea of being trusted with something as serious as being king, even intermittently. In all honesty, I felt Loki still wanted to be king, somewhere deep down. I only worried I was the only thing influencing his drastic change in opinion on that fact. "I just need to get the healing wing settled fully, then I will be completely fine."

"Are you sure?" He asked, his forehead resting against mine. "Why don't you spend tomorrow in the healing wing, handling things there. I only have a short meeting and some other small matters to attend to. We'll finish up early, before dinner, and have a nice evening together, hm?"

"That sounds quite tempting, mischief." I hummed back, making him grin.

"Then it's a done deal, my dove."

"Da-My queen, my apologies for barging in." Frida hurriedly stated as she nearly rammed into my desk with her anxious run into my study the next day, only moments before I was going to call it an evening and meet Loki for dinner.

I was writing more instructions for some of the younger girls, after having labeled almost every cabinet and drawer in the wing.

"What's wrong?" I hurried to ask, nearly jumping from my seat as I dashed alongside her out of the room.

"News spread of the Allfather's condition." She hurried to say. "The Vanir just arrived on the realm."

I groaned, knowing this was most definitely going to put Loki on edge. After all, the Vanir being here meant Fjolnir was here.

I quickly teleported to the throne room, where Loki already sat on the golden chair with his head resting on his hand, his thumb under his chin and his index resting on his lips.

"Hello, my king." I spoke softly, a small smile on my face.

"Perfect." He sighed before looking over at me. His eyes scanned me and a small smile fell onto his lips. "Gods, I love when you wear my colors."

He opened an arm for me to come to him, which I happily did.

"Have they been here yet?" I asked, earning a shake of his head as he pulled me down onto his leg.

"No, but I do like the idea of this being the image they see when they do." He chuckled as one arm wrapped around me, pulling me further back until my back was flush with the left side of him.

"You're ridiculous." I teased at him.

He opened his mouth to speak without his smile wavering. That was, until the throne doors opened.

Loki's hand tightened a fraction as he slowly pulled away from me, his eyes scanning the two Vanir that approached the throne alongside 4 guards. Normally, foreign guards weren't brought into the throne room as a sign of trust and respect. It wasn't a law, by any means, but it was known. Even I knew better; this was a slight.

"Your highness." Fjolnir stated with a slight nod, though I could feel his eyes scanning me when I forced my gaze back to Loki, ensuring he didn't choose to react.

"Freyr has sent the two of you for... What purpose, exactly?"

"My father sent us to check on the well-being of the Allfather."

Loki chuckled at that, shaking his head. "The Allfather is well. Though I find this... theatrical quest for answers quite comical. This couldn't have been addressed through a letter?"

"Well..." Fjolnir seemed rather flustered, his nervousness echoing around the room.

Is he trying to be funny? Loki asked in my mind, his eyes narrowing slightly at the Prince.

No. He's scared, for some reason.

"What is it, Fjolnir?"

"Our cities fell under siege last evening." Sigyn finally said once it was clear Fjolnir wasn't going to build up the courage any time soon. "We need help."

"And you wish for Asgard to aid you?"

"It's part of our treaty." She added.

"Yes, as long as it's from invaders outside of the realm. Do you mean to tell me another realm has attacked you?" Loki leaned forward slightly, the small smirk on his lips telling me he already knew the answer to that question.

Sigyn sighed, shaking her head. "No, it's the Ylfings."

"Then it's of no interest to Asgard to participate in such matters."

What are the Ylfings? I asked Loki telepathically, catching wind of the knowledge that Freyr was experiencing an uprising of some kind. How large was Vanaheim? Did Freyr actually rule over the entire realm, or were there more islands like my birthplace, where his authority meant nothing?

The wolf clan. They are a tribe of warriors who live deep in the Vanir forest. They've never journeyed to the cities, until now I suppose. They do not bow to Freyr.

Do they bow to Asgard?

No.

Then wouldn't it be in our best interest to keep those who do respect our authority, on the throne of Vanaheim? Especially now, when Asgard is without the Allfather?

Loki's eyes left the Vanir as he looked at me, contemplating my words for a moment.

"What help do you require, Fjolnir?"

"Well, that's the thing. We could request arms, but that would involve much bloodshed. From both sides, we assume."

Loki shifted, his head tilting slightly as his eyes narrowed. "What is it you want?" He now asked, his voice dropping an octave. He seemed... Offended? Angry? I wasn't quite sure how to make out the specific feeling.

I was a bit slower to catch on to what exactly the request was, not knowing until Fjolnir's eyes lifted up to me.